Chapter 36

Jason

"Please be careful," Hamilton sighed as he ran a hand through my hair, while giving me a worried smile.

"Like fuck I will!" I shouted, startling him. "You think I'm going to kill myself? Ha! You're fucking wrong. This is my life we're talking about and there's no way I'm killing myself. Besides, I've never done something this dangerous in my whole life. Also, have I told you that I'm super claustrophobic? No? Well... that's fantastic. Now you know! Then again, it's none of your business because you're not my mother and you can't stop me now! WHOOP!"

"You're enthusiasm about this concerns me," Hamilton muttered as he rested his hand on my shoulder, keeping me in place. "But seriously. Please be careful. I don't want to lose you again."

"You won't lose me that easily," I chuckled as I playfully punched him in the chest before Malissa called me over.

"You ready?" Malissa asked as she looked at me, a little bit of concern on her face.

"No! But bring it on!" I shouted as I slowly sat on the ground before putting my feet in the shaft.

"Actually, go in the opposite direction," Malissa suggested. "It would make it easier for you to see where you're going, and also we could pull you out by your feet if you somehow get yourself into trouble."

"R-right..." I stuttered as I turned myself around before pulling myself down into the hole while grabbing at the ground. "Wish me luck...?"

"Please don't die," Hamilton said as he grabbed at my pants, keeping a grip on me as I continued pulling myself forwards and farther down into the dark shaft.

As I got farther down the tunnel, Hamilton's grip on my pants had disappeared and the tunnel had become much darker, making it difficult to tell where I was going. So, doing the only reasonable thing that I could think of, I stopped and grabbed at the dirt around me.

"Um... Markl, can you give me some light?" I shouted. "My eyes aren't adjusting to the dark."

There was only silence.

"MARKL?" I shouted, figuring that I was probably too deep in the tunnel for him to hear me.

"WHAT?"

Startled, I hit my head against the top of the tunnel and groaned as dirt fell around my face.

"Can I get some light in here, please?" I asked. "I can't see anything and my eyes aren't adjusting!"

And once again, there was no response.

"Hell-"

I gasped, and pushed myself backwards as a bright light flowed throughout the tunnel; lighting up the way. Curiosity got the best of me and I pushed myself forwards and towards one of the shining lights, realizing that the light was flowing through roots from the plants above me.

It was beautiful.

Pulling myself forwards, I followed the glowing lights before coming across a large open area filled with more lights.

I crept closer to the opening and peeked over the edge and down into the large open room where I noticed many different creatures walking around with lamps and large crates surrounding them.

My heart instantly dropped, and with a wheezed 'nope' I scooched myself back into the small tunnel.

"Hey!"

I jumped and craned my head to look behind me.

"What the hell are you doing?" Malissa snapped, pushing my feet away from her face. "Move your butt!"

"I can't," I protested. "There's a drop off."

I heard her groan as she hit her head against the ground. "Ok... lay flat on the ground."

"Ok?"

I laid on the ground as I felt Malissa grab at my shirt, pulling herself on top of me and dragging her body forward. Then, slowly I saw her head rest next to mine as she looked over the edge of the tunnel and down into the dark room.

She hummed.

"What?" I asked, looking at her.

"Well..." she started. "I think we should not do this and leave."

"You're giving up the opportunity to save Triston?"

She hit her head against my shoulder and whined.

I smirked. "Do you like him?" I joked, nudging her.

"Fuck off," she hissed, pinching my sides.

I jumped lightly and glared.

She only shrugged her shoulders as she pushed herself back behind me.

"Ok, so here's the plan," she huffed. "We slowly crawl down and behind those barrels. The ones that are closest to us and then we'll plan from there."

I grumbled and grabbed at the roots, pulling myself out. My feet rested on the rocks sticking out of the wall as I looked down. The room was badly lit so I was safely hidden from view, but the only thing I was worried about at the moment was falling.

I watched as Malissa pulled herself out, her eyes glancing down like it was nothing.

"Why are you just standing there?" she whispered, slowly making her way down. "Move already."

Pouting, I slowly made my way down the side of the cavern. Then, once we got close enough we jumped to the ground behind the large barrels.

"Ok, now for the second part of the plan," Malissa muttered, her back pressed against the barrels. "We need some way to get out of this part of the room and down that hall. I'm sure Triston is somewhere down there."

"What? Are your love senses tingling or something?" I mocked.

"Fuck off!" I shouted, slapping a hand over my mouth.