Chapter 7

Malissa

"She's asleep," I muttered, pushing some of Betty's hair away from her face as she lay against my not dead leg.

"Good, because I think we're getting close," he replied. "You said it was like a hole in the bottom of a tree, right?"

"Yeah."

"Good. I think I know where that is."

"You do?" I asked, my face scrunching up in confusion.

"Yeah. Remember that I read your little journal?"

"Yeah, I remember," I sighed.

"Good, because I also used to notice you in the woods while you wandered around," he said. "Not in a creepy way. Just used to notice you wandering, while I was out gathering wood for my carvings. Nothing special."

"So... not only have you read my diary, but you also stalk me in the woods? Thant's just fantastic," I grumbled.

"Hey, I didn't stalk you. I watched, from a far. You did know that going to the Land of Giants would be so much safer than going in the other direction, right?" he asked.

"Really?, and, why is that?"

"Because the places that you went to are dangerous, even for a giant. There are vampires, dragons, werewolves, even monsters that we don't know about in those kinds of woods. That's why I followed you."

"Great to know that I have a guardian angel watching me."

He chuckled. "But, really. Your house isn't that far away. It's just across this river."

"Are you going to be ok crossing it?"

"Who do you think I am?" he asked. "I can swim!"

"I'm not worried about the swimming, idiot! I'm worried that your clothes are going to get wet, and you're going to catch a death of cold," I snapped back.

"Aww... do you care about me?" he asked in the worst baby voice ever.

"You're going to get yourself killed one day," I replied, pointing my finger at him. "And, it's not going to be my fault."

"Well, no kidding. You couldn't even hurt me if you wanted to."

"Does that have anything to do with me being a girl?"

"Are you really going back to that subject?"

"Yes."

"Then to answer your question; no. It's not because you're a girl, but because you're like..." he placed his finger right next to me, surprising me a little, before removing it. "Like, two inches to me."

"Rude," I huffed, folding my arms, before Triston jerked to a complete stop.

"We're crossing the river now," he said, cupping his other hand over Betty, and me as he moved across the river to the other side.

"Please be careful!" I shouted, holding Betty close to me as I heard the water rushing against Triston's legs. The water sounded a little harsher than I expected, but Triston didn't make any noise, so I assumed that he was perfectly fine.

Then I stumbled a little forwards when he started walking up the side of the bank; water dripping from his pants, and onto the hard gravel.

"Alright, we have just a little ways to go, and you'll be home, ok?" he said, uncovering the both of us. He wiped his hand against his shirt, to dry it, before pulling up his shirt to wipe the water off his other hand.