Chapter 20

Malissa

The ground was hard and uncomfortable.

Slowly, I opened my eyes and took in the mostly dark surroundings. Only a bit of light shone into the dark space through small holes in the walls.

I pushed myself up and moved slowly towards the small openings. Looking through, I noticed a pile of crates surrounding the walls, including the one I was in. The room dimly lit, but I could tell that it was old by the looks of the run down wood floors.

There was a loud bang and I quickly pushed away from the wall of my crate when I heard the tapping of shoes against the ground. Their pace slowed as they got closer and cautiously I looked through one of the small holes.

It was a man.

He was looking around the room, staring at each box for a few moments before looking to the next one. It was a smaller crate. The smallest one in the room and it seemed to please the man greatly.

He grabbed the edge of the box and pulled it to the center of the room. With a crowbar in hand, he pried the top off and threw it to the side. He dropped the tool and reached into the crate, pulling a young girl out forcibly by her arm.

She cried and kicked as he dragged her from the room where I could no longer hear her screams.

I shuddered and fell to the floor as another person entered the room.

I pushed myself away from the small hole, and leaned against the back of my crate as I heard another person enter the room. I listened as he made his way around the room, until I watched as the little light I had, disappeared.

I heard the person grunt, before the lid, of my box, was ripped off, and a rough hand reached down; grabbing me, pulling me upwards, and out of the box. I staggered to my feet as he yanked me towards the stairs.

He pulled me up the stairs, and down a darker hallway; leaving the bright light behind as he pulled me down another hall, where we slowly made our way into a large room. As I adjusted my eyes, once again, to the light, I noticed a large crowd of people, who seemed to be bargaining on people that stood on a podium, for a couple seconds, before being sent off the stage, and to that person.

Then, they all turned to me as more people gathered into the room. I just stared back at them as they looked at me with wanting eyes, and I couldn't look away. So, the man, who was still holding onto me, did that for me as he pulled me forwards once again.

I moved my eyes back on the crowd, and noticed one person in particular. It was the little girl. She was now wearing brown shorts, instead of the small white dress, she was wearing, and her feet were bare. Her hair was shorter than before, so she must have had it cut. She was standing next to a tall man, who seemed to hold a smile on his face, but it didn't seem to be one of kindness, but of... lust.

I gasped, when the man pushed me forwards, letting go of my arm as I stumbled a little, but I quickly caught myself, to make sure that I didn't['t give a bad impression on the byer. I looked around, and noticed many people staring at me, from up front, but the ones in the back could only talk to each other, and mock about the other people, who were being dragged in.

One man finally turned to me, and his eyes widened as I stared at him. It seemed that he had recognized me, but I didn't him. Then, it slowly came back to me. His light hair, green eyes, and that stupid grin of his.

My eyes widened for only a moment, then slowly turned into a glare when I realized what he had done.

Dad...

"Let the auction begin!"

My eyes widened, and I turned to look at a man, who was shouting at the top of his lungs as people started raising their hands. I turned back to the crowd, and noticed my father doing nothing about it as he turned back towards his own group, to continue talking.