Practically A Stranger - (Jade's POV)

Well I'm royally screwed. First of all, I have to play Tori's secret lover for a stupid movie for class. Secondly, my feelings are still very hazy to me, so this skit thing really isn't helping me. What if they decide to write a kissing scene? If I have to kiss her, I have no idea what the outcome will be. The point is, I don't want to pretend to be her secret admirer. Hell, I don't even have to pretend to be; I already am. Haha, fuck. I already am starting to fall for her.

I head over to the usual lunch table to find Beck, Cat, and Vega all seated. I walk over like I usually do and sit beside the Latina.

"Hey, Jade!" I look up to see the ditzy red head smiling at me with such an innocent, clueless face. I wish I could be like Cat; out in la la land all the time without a care in the world. I would say I wish I was a child again, but my childhood wasn't all unicorns and rainbows, or anywhere near easy. My parents were always screaming at each other when I was growing up. Maybe that's why yelling is all I know. After all, I was surrounded by it every waking minute of the day.

"Hi, Cat," I say, sipping my coffee while avoiding Tori's eyes at all costs.

Beck looks up at me and I make eye contact with him briefly before looking down at my coffee, pressed against my lips. "Jade, are you alright?"

I put my drink down and look at him. "Yeah, why wouldn't I be? You think that just because you're going to ask out Meredith that I'm not fine?"

"No, that's not what I-"

"Because I am perfectly fine with you moving on!" I cut him off and frown, drinking my drink again. I don't know why that blurted out of my mouth, but whatever. It's the truth, after all. I am totally fine with Beck finding someone else. I'm just jealous that he can do it so freely while I'm over here struggling to even accept my feelings for... her.

Beck looks at me and lowers his brows. "So, nothing is wazzing you off?"

I sarcastically grin. "Absolutely nothing is bothering me right now, Beck."

"So," Tori begins to say. Please be talking to Cat or Beck, please be talking to Cat or Beck. "Jade." Damnit. "Andre and I were talking this morning before Sikowitz's class and we just wanted to clarify with everyone that we're all meeting at my house right after school again?"

"Yeah sure, whatever. After school works for me." Out of the corners of my eyes I check to see for any confusion in Vega's eyes, yet I fail to find any and decide that's a good thing. I'm doing swell keeping up my same old every day Jade West persona. Perfect. I can't have anyone, especially Tori, picking up on any abnormal personality ticks that are usually hidden deep beneath my skin. Lately they've been trying to crawl to the surface, but the more layers I wear the harder it is for them to shine through. The meaner the better.

The bell rings and I get up faster than normal and head to my next class. And then the next class. Before I know it it's the end of the day, and I'm on the way to Vega's house. I ring the doorbell and force myself to keep a straight face when the tan skinned brunette opens the door, inviting me inside. Hours pass of constant script writing, constant agony, and constant pain. Not the good kind of pain, either. I want to just go up to Vega and just- never mind. No.

As everyone is leaving, except for me, Tori calls after them, "Guys, lets meet again this Friday after school! That work for everyone?" Murmurs of agreeing teenagers reply back to her before she shuts her door. Then she turns and looks at me. I'm still sitting criss-crossed on her comfy red sofa.

She comes over to me slowly and I feel myself start to warm up. "Jade, you know you don't have to stay...right?"

"I'm aware." I avoid her eye contact. "I just don't want to go home."

Letting out a deep breath, she joins my side and puts her hand on my knee. A tingly feeling runs through my spine, which I make sure to hide. "What's wrong?"

"I don't know, I-" I pause. I don't know what's wrong. I'm so confused about everything. I'm changing and I know I am, but I'm trying so hard to hold onto what I'm comfortable with. I don't like feeling all jittery whenever I see her face or hear her voice, and I want to be with her more and more now but... I have no idea. I don't know about my feelings, I don't know about my sexuality, I don't know about my own self. I'm practically a stranger to myself. Who even am I? "I just don't know who I am anymore."

She sits up and raises a brow at me. "You're Jade West. What do you mean you don't know who you are?"

I stand up and shake my head. "Never mind, just forget it. You're right." I start walking towards to door and reach for handle when she hollers out my name. I spin around and look at her with crossed arms.

"Are you mad?" She walks towards me at a fast pace, her chocolatey hair chasing after her. "What's going on with you?"

I bite my lip. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"I think you do," She says seriously. "Tell me, what on Earth is happening with you? You've been acting really out of character lately."

A small chuckle escapes my lips. "What's funny is I can't even comprehend what's happening with me enough to put it all into words. Now if you'd excuse me, I'd like to go home now," I say as I turn back around facing the door, hauling it open.

"But I thought you just said that you didn't want to go home," her voice sounds closer to me than before, and I feel hairs raise on the back of my neck. She sounds sad- disappointed even.

"Yeah," I say without turning my head to look at her. In fact, I don't move at all. "I changed my mind."

Quickly, I turn and walk out of the front door. After a few steps, I head back and poke my head in her doorway. She looks at me, tilting her head. "I almost forgot. You and me, this weekend, my house. I need to rehearse some more before next Friday." Before she can accept or object, I quickly turn again once more and leave, this time without returning.