Chapter 24

Three words: I HATE SCHOOL--------------------------------

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. Well, I guess if you call not seeing dad all day uneventful, then nothing happened. I didn't see him all day! He wasn't in potions, and I didn't see him at lunch. I was getting seriously worried, and didn't really pay attention in class. The teachers noticed, and asked me about it. I just said that I didn't sleep well last night, and was really tired. They all understood, and went easy on me the rest of class.

After my last class, I didn't bother going to super. I knew that I wouldn't be able to stomach it, not with all the worry running through me. I had considered going and asking Dumbledore where he was a couple times, but I didn't think he would really be able to help me. Either he wouldn't really care, or he would be all mysterious about everything. I really didn't need that at the moment.

I walked back down to the chambers I shared with my dad, and opened the door. I got the biggest surprise of my life. Sitting in the chair, was dad! He was taking a nap, but on closer examination, I saw that there were dark circles around his eyes, and he was extremely pale. That just freaked me out more, but I didn't wake him up. I figured he needed his sleep, so I quietly walked around the chair and plopped myself on the couch. I pulled the papers out from my bag and started to write. It was about ten minutes until the bell would ring for curfew, and I had written about two thousand more words. I was at forty one thousand now. I still had to write nine thousand by tomorrow.

Shrugging these thoughts away, I walked back to my bedroom and changed into my pajamas. I brushed my hair and teeth, then walked back out to the living room. I sat back down on the couch and looked over at dad. He can sure sleep like a rock when he's tired. I decided that he needed to wake up. Then I can at least get some food in him. I walked over to the kitchen and got out what I needed to make a ham and cheese braid. I cooked the food up, and put it on the table. Then I walked out to the living room and gently shook dad's shoulder. He woke up with a start, and looked wildly around the room for the source of what woke him up. When his eyes finally came to a stop on me, dad smiled a bit, before opening his mouth. I thought he was going to talk, but instead, he started to cough. It was a nasty cough, one that tracks your whole body and knocks the wind out of you. After he finished coughing, he smiled weakly at me, and fell back on the chair.

Dad, I made super. Would you like some? I asked, my voice calm, but with a trace of worry.

"I'm not feeling too well right now Leighlah. How long have I been sleeping for?" Dad asked, his voice raspy. It sounded horrible.

Dad, I need you to stop talking. I'm going to go make a batch of soup. Is that ok? I asked, turning in the direction of the kitchen, but my head was still facing dad.

He nodded, and I went to make soup. It was chicken noodle. I had read somewhere that there is something in chicken noodle that helps beat illness. Therefore, dad was going to eat chicken noodle soup.

I finished the soup and brought it out to dad, along with a thermometer. I was going to take his temperature before he ate. I walked out of the kitchen to find dad sleeping in the chair. I shook my head, and set the soup on the table. I shook dad awake again, and once he opened his eyes, I held up the thermometer. He opened his mouth, and I put it under his tongue. It beeped a couple minutes later, and I gently removed it from under his tongue, and looked at what the numbers were. 103.2.

Dad, You need to eat the soup, and then take some medicine. If you do, you should be well enough to be on your feet tomorrow. I said, before walking over to the potions cabinet. I grabbed the fever reducing potion, and walked back over to the chair. The soup was gone, and dad was watching my every move, as if I would poison him.

Here is the fever reducing potion. You should drink this without taking a breath. It will have the most effect that way. I said before I handed him the potion.

Just like I said, he drank the potion all in one breath, and immediately his eyes widened. I don't know why though. I stuck the thermometer back into his mouth, and when it beeped, the fever was only at 101.8. Not nearly as bad as before. I put a hand to his forehead, and felt it. It wasn't very hot anymore, and I was very glad. I had no way to call Madame Pomfrey, so I would do this myself.

Ok. Your fever has gone down a bunch already. You will need to drink this potion one more time around seven tomorrow morning. I will wake you when you need to take the next dose. I said, grabbing another vial to put on the table.

"Yes, mother." He said sarcastically, before breaking into a coughing fit.

Smiling slightly, I walked back to my room and grabbed my pillow and a blanket. My plan was to sleep on the couch next to dad. That way I could wake him up when it was time for the next potion. I took the pillow and blanket out to the living room, where dad was fast asleep already. I made a mini bed like thing, and fell onto it. I took my wand and set an alarm for six fifty five the next morning. That would give me time to wake up and then wake up dad too. I set my wand on the table, and laid back on the couch.The couch was really comfy, so I fell asleep easily.