Chapter 25

I woke up to my alarm the next morning, and was wondering why in the world I was awake this early. Looking for the source of the noise, I found my wand on the floor now, and the vial of fever reducing potion next to it. Dad was still asleep in the chair, and looked much better than he did yesterday. The bags under his eyes were less prominent, and his face was no longer a sickly pale. Now there was just kind of a pale tint to his cheeks.

Dad, I said, looking at him in the chair. You need to wake up now. It's time for the potion again.

He slowly opened his eyes, blinking a couple times to get used to the light. After his eyes adjusted, they found me. I was holding the potion vial in my right hand, and the thermometer in the other.

Will you let me take your temperature first? I asked, hoping he would say yes.

To my luck, dad nodded, and slowly opened his mouth. I stuck the thermometer under his tongue, and just like last night, waited for the beep. When it beeped, I took it out of dad's mouth and looked at the numbers. It read 101.6. Much better than last night. He still had to take the potion though. There are rules for these things, like no teacher or student should go to classes if they have a fever above 100 degrees. Also, if any teacher or student is sick, they should report to Madame Pomfrey for treatment, they should not attempt to treat it themselves. They were good rules, but I had broken one of them. I had no way to tell Madame Pomfrey that dad was sick. Instead, I took care of it myself, and did a pretty good job if I do say so myself.

How are you feeling? I asked dad, my head tilting to one side.

"Much better than yesterday." Dad said, voice still hoarse, but better than yesterday. "Thank you for taking care of me."

No problem! I got really worried when you didn't show for class, breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I said, suddenly serious. I thought about going to Dumbledore a couple times, but I figured he would give me a riddle I needed to figure out. I didn't really have the patience for that. I admitted sheepishly.

Dad cracked a smile at that, and started moving around in the chair.

"Do I have permission to stand?" He asked teasingly.

I smiled and nodded, watching as he stood, using the arms of the chair for support. Dad started walking around the room, making sure he could walk without problems, then walked back to his room to get changed.

I walked back to my room also. I hopped into the shower and washed, then stepped out and dried. I walked out of the bathroom and straight into my closet. I put on undergarments, then pulled on another pair of dark wash jeggings, and a light blue cami. Then I walked further into the closet, and grabbed a long white sweater. It went over my butt, and almost down to my knees. I pulled on a pair of pink and yellow mismatched socks, and put my light brown boots on over top of them. They went up to just below my knee, and were extremely comfortable. I put my wand into my boot, and walked out of the closet.

Dad was sitting on the chair again, except this time he was reading the paper. He looked up when I walked into the room.

"Got everything you need?" He asked, looking me over.

Yep! I said, walking over to pick up my book bag by the door.

"Got your wand?" He asked, giving me a look that clearly said that he thought I was forgetting something.

Yep! Right here! I said, patting my right boot.

"Ok, let's go eat!" Dad said, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and guiding me toward the doors.

Are you able to teach today dad? I asked unsure if he was well enough yet.

"Yes Leighlah, I am perfectly ok to teach today." He said, looking down at me. I was still super short, like not even five foot yet.