Chapter 8 - The Secret

Flame

Chapter 8 - The Secret

(Very long chapter.)

.

"Are you feeling alright?" Ian asks as he ran his fingers through my hair, sitting at the edge of the bed beside me. He wasn't in his uniform yet, but he didn't go in until after eight-thirty, which was after he always left me at school. He usually woke me up so that we could get ready before he made breakfast.

I nod a little, offering a small shrug as I looked up at the ceiling. "I just... I don't want to go today" I murmur.

I didn't want to look at Lukas yet because then I'd remember his brothers and I didn't want to feel that ball of heat consume me again. Because I knew I was going to have to forget about it when Ian and I left. Better start now that when it was too late and I-

Ian frowns a little, "What's wrong?" he asks as I turn to him. "You were just like this last night for dinner. What's going on?" he adds, his tone more serious as he sat up.

I lick my lips with a small sigh and look back at him, his brown eyes already trained at me"I was just thinking. About... you know what" I add silently. "I just don't feel like getting up today."

It wasn't entirely a lie. What I did with the two brothers... It made me remember what happened. It made me remember why I had never allowed anything to happen after that. It made me remember why I didn't want anyone to come to close to me like that. Because how would I tell them about that?

A look of pain crosses Ian's eyes and I feel guilty for reminding him. He rolls his jaw a little, "If you're feeling depressed again, I can't let you stay home alone" he replies softly. "I know there will be days like this, but you have to keep standing up."

"I'm not depresed, Ian" I say with a small, tired exhale and move to sit up. "I'm not scared or in pain. I'm also not sad because of that. I mean, I don't like it, but I just... I don't want to go to school today."

Ian swallows tightly before sighing and looking around, "Maybe I can call in-"

"No, don't do that" I frown, sitting up straighter as he looked at me. "I can't let you do that for me again. You already changed your life so much because of me."

"This is not your fault, Brandon" Ian says tightly. "I've told you that. Now, you don't want to go to school. I'll accept that. I will also go to work, but you will answer when I call you, do you understand me, Brandon?" I nod a little. "You will also stay inside the house. I don't want that door to open at all, okay?"

"Okay" I nod.

"Now get up. You might not go to school, but you are going to eat" he states before yanking the covers from me and I giggle as he pulls my legs over the bed.

"I'm going" I laugh before finally standing up. Ian goes to the kitchen probably to prepare breakfast and I go to the bathroom to wash up. I don't last very long in there because just the sight reminded me of the two triplets. Then I'm making my way down to the kitchen and I sit down on the table as I watch Ian cook. He was making scrambled eggs as well as toast, the ham also being fried in the pan. We had milk too, but that was about all we had. We still put butter on the bread so, overall, the breakfast was amazing.

"When are your finals?" Ian asks me as he sits beside me on the table. He had his own plate and, seeing that he wouldn't have to drive me, he was eating a little bit more relaxed.

I hum a little, "Next week. They end at Friday- same time."

Ian nods while tearing a piece of his bread, "And how long before they mail your diploma?"