Chapter 24 - Family Protects Family

Flame

Chapter 24 - Family Protects Family

A/N: Just a little something for bonding with Milo:) Also, if you've read from book one, this phrase is said at least once. ^.^

.

"What's this?" I ask with a curious frown as I push my glasses up. Lukas led me down to the west wing and even I knew this was a sort of medical wing, if the walls or rooms were any hints. He took me into an office, and we were standing in front of a case that had many little bottles with dark liquid. They were neatly arranged in a heavy-looking cupboard and as I touch the glass, I could see it was extremely thick.

Lukas sighs softly and I tear my eyes from the bottles to look at his face, which was staring intently into the case. "The drug they gave my uncle Milo" he murmurs as he studied it. I feel my eyebrows raise before turning back to the glass to study it too. "Back when they brought Milo home from his taking, they realized there was something wrong with him. They, uh... Gage had this and he brought it when they realized Milo couldn't handle not having a shot. Back then it wasn't only Milo who needed this. It was Lane, too."

"Lane?" I ask in surprise because he definitely didn't look like he'd ever used this.

Lukas nods once and leads me out the room before heading back to his room, with a little disturbance from my mates, before he took me into his room. I watch him close the door and take a seat right beside me on his bed. "I only know what I've heard my parents talk about, sometimes even Nick and Chris." I nod slowly because I was finally going to learn their story- or the end of it. "So when they brought Milo back, Lane was also saved. They were both deep into the addiction so it was necessary for Gage to bring the doses. They didn't know anything about it, they didn't know what to do either."

"Lane doesn't look like he needs it" I answer, confused.

"Lane had been using the drug way before Milo had. They also gave him some other stuff which was why it was easier for him to get clean. I'm not sure if he still uses anything, but he doesn't need the drug anymore."

"Why would they have so much, though?" I ask. "If you were trying to get Milo clean, why have so much here that could tempt him?"

"They needed to study it. They needed to figure out a way to stop the side effects" he sighs. "They wanted to figure out a way to help Milo stop taking it."

"But they never did" I state quietly, to which he nods.

"They never found a cure for it, a solution" he agrees and then raises his eyes to me. "They did find a use for it, though. It helped in extreme medical procedures. In emergencies or horrible injuries. After battle to numb our fighters. See, a simple shot is enough to do the job. They never give more than one to anyone and it's saved so many lives, Brandon."

"It's only bad if overused" I finally realize.

Lukas nods before running his fingers through his hair, "Lane got clean when I was a kid... but Milo never could. I think that's why they don't get along much. But now," he smiles faintly, "he's clean. He's clean now and I'm so damn glad, Brandon. He can be who he was. He can be the Milo I never got to meet."

"He's really done with them, isn't he?" I ask to which he only turns and gives me a hopeful look.

.

The next day, I wake up to many voices. They weren't loud, but I could still hear them coming from outside through the window. Looking from the bed, I could see the sky was dark, cloudy, and for some reason, cold. Then again, it had been sprinkling the past couple days, so it was probably going to storm soon. Christopher and Nicholas were gone and I was alone on the bed, where I try listening in before shooting out the bed and rushing to the window when I heard my mates. Christopher was the first that I saw, pushing back against Will's chest. Aaron was there, trying to get his son to back off, even their uncles were there. Then my eyes travel down and I hold in a gasp when I see Nicholas holding Milo, one arm around his shoulder, but holding nonetheless. He was taking him and I lurch away from the window to run downstairs.