Chapter 23 - The Calm Before The Storm

Flame

Chapter 23 - The Calm Before The Storm

.

"Are you nervous?" I whisper, curling my fingers tight in my lap. His eyes were on the television, but he wasn't actually watching it. I wasn't either. His eyes were locked hard at the screen, almost unblinking and my own eyes ached at the sight. A small, nervous sigh leaves my lips and I reach for the bowl sitting on his bed, taking it and eating more of the buttery popcorn inside. "Have you talked with Eliza? What did you two talk about? Do you think the pack will like us? Has Milo-"

"Brandon" my brother groans, reaching up to rub his face hard, the breath leaving him in a long sigh. I bite my lower lip hard before watching him turn to me, a look on his face. "Seriously. You have not shut up since you came up."

"I'm really nervous" I admit.

My brother sighs before lowering the volume of the television to turn back to me, "Okay, look. Who cares if they don't like us. We won't die if they hate us, Brandon. We don't need their opinion."

"This is really important to me" I murmur, "I want them to like me. Christopher and Nicholas said I'm a sort of leader for them too, now. How can I when they don't like me?"

My brother's face softens just the tiniest bit and he sighs, sliding his casted arm around me to pull me close beside him. "They're going to like you" he finally says. "How can anyone not like you?" I can't help but smile at that and he gives me a squeeze, "It'll be fine" he continues. "You'll be presented and everyone will absolutely love you."

"What are you going to do with Eliza?" I ask softly. "Milo said you'd have to choose between staying here or going over there."

"I'm not leaving you, Brandon" my brother states.

I bite my lower lip, "Even if Eliza isn't happy here?"

"Never" he murmurs before sitting back and stretching, "Now shut up, I want to finish watching this."

The next hour and a half was spent inside the room, finishing off our popcorn before the movie ended and I was drinking from the bottle of water I'd brought with me. The taste of butter lingered in my mouth and could still faintly smell the popcorn in the air. I grabbed the plates and trash before Ian could and made my way down the stairs, where I saw Lukas sitting back on the couch, head dropped back.

"You look entertained" I state once I put everything away and washed the dishes Ian and I used.

Lukas hums as his left eye opens to look at me, "Just waiting until my turn for patrol comes up so I can go."

"Do you always have to patrol?" I ask curiously while approaching him. I was slowly learning things about them- what they did or what they needed to do. It was actually quite... interesting to hear about. Lukas sits up as I take a seat beside him and he exhales with a tiny shrug.

"Well, obviously. I'm the beta of the pack and while Nicholas, Caroline, and Christopher maintain the order and sometimes patrol themselves, the safety falls more towards me and the third in command. But I patrol in the mornings- when you're usually asleep."

I nod before biting my lower lip and rubbing my arm, and letting my eyes roam around slowly, "Do you think all of you will be able to? Stop him, I mean?" I murmur thickly. I feel his gaze turn to me and I can't help the burning of my eyes. My throat closes a little but I blink quickly and lick my lips, "I don't want to see him again" I croak.

"Brandon, we're doing everything we can to keep you and your brother safe" Lukas assures and he grabs my hand, tugging it to make me face him, "We've sent word of him to ally packs and if he's spotted, we will know."