Chapter 31 - Awake

Flame

Chapter 31 - Awake    

.

Everyone had dashed out the room as soon as they heard the news. Lukas and the others followed Gabbie out the door and I could hear them go down the stairs. As for me, I couldn't even move. I could barely breathe. I could barely process the words that she'd said.

Ian was awake?

Warm fingers brush my hair back and I swallow hard as Christopher stood at my side, "Brandon?"

Nicholas moves in front of me and he reaches to brush his fingers under my eyes, cleaning tears that I hadn't even known I had. He cups my face and raises my watery eyes to his, "Don't you want to go see your brother?"

I look away from his eyes slowly, "Hes not my brother" I murmur numbly.

Christopher grabs my hands, "He's your brother, Brandon. The bond you two have is like brothers. He's your brother."

I shake my head I'm denial, "Do you think he'll still love me?"

"Brandon is that even a question" Nicholas demands softly. "He loves you. Why don't you give him the chance to tell you himself."

"We're going to tell him?" I ask quietly, terror gripping my chest hard. Maybe it would all be better if Ian didn't know any of this. It was for the best if this wasn't said.

"I think it would be best from you" he says with a slow nod. "Besides that, he has a right to know he has another brother, Brandon. He has a right to know how things turned out. Wouldn't you like to know?"

"Now come on..." Christopher adds giving a small squeeze to my fingers, "He's asking for you. He'll get hurt trying get up and look for you himself."

They lead me down the stairs and towards the medical wing, my heart pounding a mile a minute. I couldn't even think as I approached the familiar door and pause right outside when we reach it. I swallow hard, watching Nicholas give me a small encouraging smile before making his way inside. I hear his small laugh and his voice as he told Ian to sit back and relax. As he told Ian not to move much. Christopher follows his brother and I hear him talk to Ian about how long he took, how it was about damn time.

And finally, I heard Ian's raspy but yet oh so familiar voice. It was low and weak, it was tired and low. And it was asking for me. "Bran...don.."

I swallow back my tears and slowly make my way into the bright room. My eyes immediately went to Ian, my breath catching in my throat. He lay on the bed, Eliza sitting right beside him with her hands holding one of his. He was surrounded by my friends and newly acquired family. And his bright green eyes were trained on me.

I didn't know what he thought as he looked at me. Hair in a mess, eyes swollen and red from crying, in pajamas that were most likely dirty since my earlier panic in the wet grass outside. I was surely a sight with the bruises on my face even if they were mostly faded away now. I simply felt small and weak as I stood by the door entrance, my eyes welling up with tears.

Ian tries to sit up, his body barely even raising an inch but Eliza still placed her hand on his chest. It was then that I heard the rapid beeping of the machine as Ian's eyes practically begged for him to be able to get close to me. My mouth opens but I couldn't even say a single word. Instead, I watch my brother helplessly until his left arm extends slowly, fingers reaching towards me.

He couldn't know.

He couldn't.

"Brandon..." his voice was still weak, still tired.  He still wore the cast on his arm from the crash that seemed years ago now. But he still held on to Eliza's hand with his free fingers.