Chapter 11 - Consequences

Flame

Chapter 11 - Consequences

- Very Light Mature Content

.

My eyes drift over the ceiling with a soft sigh, the silence making me itchy. Normally, I never minded the silence, the emptiness. I actually craved it and didn't care what was going on around. But now... now that I had friends again, and so many, it made me want to scream. There was never a moment of silence in Lukas' house. It was always busy, noisy, happy. It was just... so alive over there. I'd gotten so accustomed to their activeness that it had drifted to me too.

I realized that I craved what Lukas had. I craved what his family had to offer. I wanted it.

So much.

Ian and I hadn't exactly talked about when he caught Lukas in my room. After he kicked him out, he just stared at me in enraged silence before he turned and walked out without a word. No words and no shouts. He simply turned and walked out. When he walked into his room and closed the door, something inside me clenched. It was at the center of my chest and my eyes burned, my throat closing.

Everything inside me had crushed in guilt.

Sure, he had made breakfast Saturday morning and he hadn't worked, but he still wouldn't talk to me and he ate in his room. It made me feel bad, made me feel crushed. I never really heard him much of Saturday and now, Sunday, I had yet to hear him. Usually, he would've confronted me by now. I didn't know if it was good or not.

"Ian" I say softly, pushing his door open a little, the wood creaking on the old house. He was sitting on his bed, his laptop on his lap. I never really got one, but Ian used that one to contact his friend. His friend had given it to him specifically- it couldn't be tracked and it couldn't be hacked. It was useful- it helped in creating our forged documents as well as looking for places. Just... I didn't want it to work right now. "Ian, can we talk?"

"I don't want to talk to you right now, Brandon" he says, his eyes on the screen. My throat closes a little and I feel my eyes water just a bit before I blink quickly.

"Ian, please-"

"I said not right now" he snaps, and I flinch a little before closing the door and making my way to my room. Maybe I deserved that- I did break his rules, but couldn't he had just yelled at me?

That would've been a little bit easier. It would've made things move on faster. It would've just been better.

Then again, I knew I was breaking his rules and I hadn't cared. Maybe I deserved this.

.

I had already forgotten the name of the lady in the office. She was as lively as ever, her hair in a neat bun, her face using makeup. She was wearing a matching skirt with her shirt, some heels that clicked whenever she stood to grab a paper she copied.

She would print a paper, take it to her desk and write on it, probably sign it. Then she would stand up and place it inside a file where I could see other papers. Then she would sit back on her chair and check her phone from time to time.

This took a while and by the time the bell rang, I knew I was late to class. To my finals. Ian came out about five minutes later, a deep scowl on his face and the principal was frowning, his eyes landing on me before Ian pointed at me to go to the door. He handed me a paper, "When you finish your final for your first class, show this to your teacher. You're gonna go take your second final of the day once you're done. I'll be here to pick you up by lunch. Okay?" he says but it wasn't really a question.