Prologue

"Aunt Leanne, I'm going out now!" I yelled up the stairs.

"Okay. Remember to lock the door on your way out!" Leanne yelled back.

I always did, but she always felt the need to remind me.

I put my earphones in and started stretching before jogging down the road. I started to build up speed as I ran down the hill and past my neighbors who had hearing issues. I figured that's the only reason why they would yell so much. Most of the time, they weren't even arguing, they just yelled for the heck of it. In that big house with little furniture, their voices echoed off the walls.

I ran around the park a few times until I got too tired. It was a big park with a manmade lake, a fountain in the middle of the picnic area, scattered trees, and dozens of picnic benches. There was also a playground with a sandbox and a nature trail. The trail was hardly used anymore. Mostly teens used it since it led to a large clearing with benches and the lake. No one really knew why the trail was no longer used, but I heard stories ranging from someone dying on the trail to it being haunted.

Whether or not I believed in ghosts, there was something about running in the park at night that gave me the creeps, so I headed back home. It was getting dark as I was coming home from my run. Usually I would've done it in the morning, but I was swamped with homework and decided to run before sunset. I slowed gradually while passing an alley, because I saw something move in the shadows caused by the setting sun.

"Is anyone there?" I called after I heard shuffling. Any normal person would've continued on their merry way. I didn't, but I wish I did. I cautiously walked to the entrance of the alley. "Hello?" I heard a grunt and slight whispers so I turned back towards the road... then someone grabbed my arm and shoved me roughly against the slimy, wet wall of the alley. I tried to scream, but before I could mutter a word, a hand covered my mouth.

"Ever heard that curiosity killed the cat?" a rough voice asked. "Move and I'll kill you," he threatened pressing a cold metallic object to my neck. "Come." He pulled me deeper into the alley where I could make out two burly figures in the darkness with masks. "Who's she?" one of them asked.

"Some chick I found walking in the alley," the one holding me said.

"What are we going to do with her?" guy number three asked. "She looks young."

"Do whatever you want with her. I don't care. Have some fun with her if you like. She's a beauty," guy number one said. He opened a door at the end of the alley and led me inside, pushing me into a chair. "I'm going to remove my hand but you're not going to scream. Heard me sweetheart?" I nodded and forced the tears back as I shook in fear.

He slowly removed his hand and barked out orders to the other two men to tie and gag me. I was freaking out inside. I let my curiosity get the best of me, and now I was paying for it. Before I could think anything else, I felt a pair of rough and calloused hands on my waist. I froze and he laughed. "You like that?" he whispered in my ear. Fresh tears ran down my face as he roughly placed his hands on my breasts.

They walked out laughing and locked the door. I scanned my surroundings. There was a flickering bulb above me and a table in the middle of the uncomfortably small room. In two corners were broken shelves overflowing with bags of white powder and papers. The smell from the room was horrid, and strong, and made bile rise in my throat.

Suddenly, something flashed in my peripheral vision. I started hyperventilating. "Sshh... Calm down," a voice whispered. I whipped my head around frantically wanting to see who was talking. My chest started constricting. A panic attack was well on its way.

"You have to calm down. I won't hurt you. I promise. Sshhh," the voice said again. I vaguely saw a dark figure in the shadows. The figure started walking towards me slowly. I couldn't keep my tears in any longer. The person was so close to me now, I saw it was a boy but I couldn't see his face because he was wearing a large hoodie. He kneeled in front of me and slowly pulled the cloth from around my mouth.

"Please don't hurt me," I begged. "Please."

"I won't hurt you. I'm here to help you. What's your name?" he asked. Though I couldn't see his face, I saw his long jet-black hair poking out from under his hoodie.

"N-Nina," I stuttered. I probably shouldn't have told him my name, but compared to the three men outside, he seemed quite friendly.

"Well, Nina, I'm going to get you out of here, okay?" he said softly. He got up, walked behind the chair and started to untie me. A thought crossed my mind. What if they came in and saw him trying to help me? They'd kill him. They threatened me, they sure as hell wouldn't hold back on this Good Samaritan. He removed the gag and wiped my tear stained face with his soft thumbs.

"No, stop. They'll kill you," I said. "You need to go."

"I saw what he did to you. I saw him touch you," he said with held back anger. I turned away and bit my lip. "I'm not leaving," he said. Soon, my arms were free. The men had tied the rope so tight around my wrists that it had bruised my skin. He ran his fingers over the purple lines now on my wrists. "Nina, listen to me. I'm going to lead them in here, and while I take care of them, I want you to escape. When you get out of the ally, I want you to run as fast as you possibly can okay?" he said. "Don't look back. When I open the door, you're going to close your eyes and you're not going to open them until I tell you to."

I nodded. Why was he helping me? Wasn't he a part of these group of people? How did he get in here undetected? "Why are you helping me?" I asked as I rubbed my sore wrists.

I could see him smile where the faint light shone on the lower section of his face, still not allowing me to see his entire face. "Random act of kindness. I will come and check if you are okay wherever you are. Remember what I told you and one last thing: Don't mention anything to anyone." I nodded and squeezed my eyes shut. I shivered a little when his hand caressed my cheek. I heard the door creek open and soon after, the sounds of grunting, yells, and slight cracking erupted from around me. I squeezed my eyes shut tighter. "Go Nina," I heard his voice say at my ear.

I opened my eyes and ran out the door at full speed, adrenaline flooding my body. Don't look back. Don't look back. Don't look back! I chanted mentally as I ran with everything I had back to my house. I shakily let myself in, panting and wheezing. Leanne came out of the kitchen and looked at me in horror then ran off to fetch my inhaler.

"What happened to you, Nina?" she asked in concern. "Why didn't you have your inhaler? What happened?"

When I finally calmed down a bit, I tried to compose myself on the outside... and one last thing... don't mention anything to anyone... his voice rang clear in my ears. "I wanted to see how far I could push myself. It was a stupid idea. I'm sorry," I lied.

"Please don't you ever do that to me again. I can't lose you too," she cried and hugged me tightly.