Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty

"How was dinner?" Daniel asked when I walked into my room, already kicking my heels off.

I had just come from the Woodsen's monthly soiree. To say it was awkward was an understatement. We had to break the news to his parents that we had broken up yet again, and they were far from pleased. I could never understand why, considering they did not like me. Joshua did his best to avoid me, especially when Ridge showed up. He dropped a nasty comment to Ridge to watch his back and not to get too close to me, because I might just end up cheating on him too. And here I thought, he had left my house with no such bitterness towards me.

Instead of saying he had a girlfriend, Ridge put his arm around my waist and glared at Joshua. "That was low, man," he said. "I see why she cheated." Stupefied, Joshua had left me alone for the rest of the night. Ridge didn't ask about the history behind the comment, and I was grateful. I doubted he condoned what I did, but he didn't say anything about it.

I grabbed a change of clothing. "Awkward," I answered. "I don't really want to talk about it." When I told Daniel that I was going over to the Woodsen's for dinner, he completely hated the idea. But I assured him that it was just to keep up appearances, and that I couldn't exactly fall off the face of the world and not go anywhere the media would be. Even if it sounded like bliss. It would not help my modeling career. The more well-known you are, the more people wanted you on the front page, but I was starting to wonder if it was worth it.

I went into the bathroom, changed, rid my face of all traces of makeup, and braided my hair back into two before coming out and throwing myself onto the bed. Daniel pulled the covers over us and settled comfortably against my pillows.

"I like you," I said suddenly. Somehow the thought process for that wasn't complete, because I hadn't planned on telling him that yet. The silence stretched so long, I had to look over to make sure he hadn't fallen asleep already. "It's okay not to say it back. I just wanted you to know." I had shown him how I felt, but I didn't think I had ever made it verbally clear.

He bit his lip in the darkness. "I really like you," he said after a while. "I don't know why, because you're confusing and stubborn as fuck..." he started, and I giggled as I felt his fingers find the end of my braid. "But I really like you."

^_^

"We should all get together soon," Kaitlyn said with a pout on our way to lunch. She had been blabbering about how we hadn't spent much time together outside of school, and I agreed. I wouldn't mind coming together to see a movie, or do something else fun with my friends. Laura followed beside her silently, still not talking to me, but I had seen her kissing Rebecca earlier, so I wasn't surprised.

I didn't understand what kind of person would give their girlfriend such an ultimatum. Stop talking to your friend, or I'll break up with you. I tried not to dwell on it anymore. Things like this happened so I could find my true friends. Kaitlyn was my true friend.

"I know, right?" I said, shifting the weight of my books from one arm to the next. "We should go see a movie this weekend, or I know, go to Busch Gardens?" I offered, but Kaitlyn shook her head, red highlighted curls bouncing. Her hair had been perfectly styled today, unlike some days where she would run a brush through it and call it her workout for the day. "Okay then. Where?"

"Damian and Daniel's place," she said, and I nodded her on. "We need to get together today. I want to have a party. I'll text everyone what food to bring, and tell the boys we'll be using their house."