Chapter Three

Chapter Three

I don't know why but I let go of Zayne's hand and held my gym bag with both hands instead, but Daniel's look made me a bit uneasy.

"Danny wanted to watch cheerleading," Damian said messing up his brother's hair then dodging out of his way as Daniel moved to slap him. I stifled a giggle at their playfulness. "Are you on the squad?"

"Yeah," I said quietly.

"Come on then," Damian said, and we all headed into the gym.

The twins and Zayne went to the second row of the bleachers to watch, while I went to the girl's locker room to change. I removed my clothes quickly and pulled on my shorts. Normally, I wouldn't be dressing in the locker areas because of my self-consciousness, but I was late and the only one in the locker room. I pulled on my sneakers and tank top that had the school crest embroidered into it and had a picture of a hawk on it; our beloved school mascot. I took out my small towel, left my bag at my locker and went back to the gym.

I threw my towel to Zayne and he caught it. The girls were stretching and I ran to join them. Natalia pulled me over beside her and I smiled.

"Vásquez!" Coach Smith yelled. I snapped my head up to look at the lanky blonde that was our cheer coach.

"Yes, Coach?" I said.

"Tie up your hair, you know the drill," she yelled then stalked back to the front of the group. Somebody was in a crappy mood today. I pulled my hair into a ponytail and resumed my stretching position, leaning over to the side with my arm above my head.

"I didn't know you got a tattoo?" Natalia whispered while we doing paired stretches.

"I don't have one," I said.

"You look like you have one on your hip," she asked.

"No," I said shortly and stretched the other way, confused. I didn't have a tattoo.

"Vásquez! Morgan!" Coach yelled at us to stop talking.

Shelby grinned my way and flipped me off. I didn't know why she hated me so much. All I did was roll my eyes at the devil's offspring in front of me with her very short skirt. "Rose! I told you no uniforms for practice!" Coach Smith yelled. Shelby's face turned crimson and Natalia guffawed. "Layouts!" Coach yelled and clapped her hands. The woman rarely spoke with her inside voice.

We set up the mats quickly, and lined up at a corner of the gym. Shelby, of course, had to push her way to the front.

"Full twist layout," coach ordered.

One by one, we did a starting run and the layout. The next fifteen or so minutes were used up on brushing up on our jumps, layouts, and some techniques then she started with the routine. The first part was pretty easy, but then pyramids and tosses came up and I was a flyer. By the end of practice, I was sweaty and in need of a shower.

"Remember the pep rally is less than a month away, ladies!" coach shouted to us. I forgot about the rally. It was surprising because posters decorated in the school colors had been posted around school for a week now. After the pep rally on the Friday, there was homecoming on the Saturday.

Last year's homecoming was very boring. Maybe because I was a junior at the time, and the dancefloor was filled with freshmen and sophomores that had the maturity level of ten-year-olds, but I did not enjoy myself and ended up leaving an hour into the dance. The food had been terrible and the drinks were more like water with food coloring mixed into it. Despite its bring red color, it had no flavor. My dad had come to pick Zayne and me up, and had taken us to China Jade for some real food and drinks on our way home. I was eternally grateful.