Chapter 2

Then there was a smile

I was starting a new year of school today. My senior year would take place in Viridian High, instead of my old school. To be completely honest, I didn't care. My mind was completely bent around the events of last night. I hadn't talked about it with anyone and I had no intentions on doing so, but it still made me think...a lot. Like, borderline obsessively. Even the thrill of walking into a brand-new school for the first time seemed dull in comparison.

I thought about how I'd felt so paranoid while walking last night. It felt like my nerves were taking over, even before I heard a sound. My body knew what was coming for me before it ever came into view. Suddenly, the feeling that I'm being watched doesn't look so unwarranted.

Luckily, my legs move on autopilot when my attention is elsewhere. Somehow, I made it to my first class of the day without many bumps along the way. If it wasn't for the teacher's voice ringing a bell in my head, I probably would have found a seat and sat down without ever looking up. But she did ring a bell, and a very loud one at that. "Alright class, we have a new student as you can see. Please treat him better than you treat your friends."

My eyes shot up to stare at the blonde from last night. It was definitely her. Last night she looked like an action movie star with her hair loose and flowing over her denim jacket and jeans. Now she looked like a regular college graduate, wearing a button down and khakis with her hair tied in a bun. She even wore a fake pair of glasses. It was obvious that she was still burning hot, even with the professional attire. I saw no reason to dance around the private subject. "What the hell are you doing here!? You owe me an explanation, right now!" I even pointed my finger at her for some reason.

"Oh, no. Don't talk about last night, Jake! All of that happened before you were one of my students!" she blushed in front of the whole room and cradled her face with both hands. I couldn't believe her response. "Please don't tell the whole class what we did last night. I wouldn't want to leave the school so suddenly!" she took off her glasses and pouted at me. The entire act was crazy, but it got the job done. I was suddenly aware of the entire class glaring at me.

"Dude, shut up and have a seat!" "Don't make a scene you idiot!" "You better have used a condom, or we'll kill you!" the class raved and drove the point home. I sat down, simply glaring at the blushing blonde that called herself, Miss Sin. The class moved on and I realized that the entire class adored her. She spoke to everyone as if they were equals and built a strong connection with the group of teens. She kept a wide distance between herself and mine. I regret to admit, I learned nothing in that class. I was so busy with my own thoughts that I didn't even realize she was a biology teacher till the end of the class.

The bell rang and I made a beeline for her desk. She looked up at me, appearing surprised, "Oh, Jake. Do you need help finding your next class?" You should have Mrs. Waller for English."

I growled, "You know that's not what I need help with. Last night-"

"Oh, no! I can't do something like that at school! Please don't ask for that here, Jake!" there it was again. She started blushing so brightly that even I almost believed it was honest.

"Dude, can you chill? That's sexual harassment," I was forcibly pulled from the class by a group of guys in team jerseys. "Show us your schedule. We'll show you where to go if you just keep it in your pants." Part of me wanted to rage out and explain the situation. The rest of me realized that I wouldn't win. Miss Sin outplayed me harder than I could have imagined. Setting me up as a reverse cougar the moment I confronted her.

To her credit, she gave me some good credibility as well. My classmates weren't ignoring me or giving me the cold shoulder as much as I expected. The baseball team escorted me to English class and introduced themselves along the way. One of them, Chad, said before we parted ways, "I don't know what you've been up to with Miss S before you got here, and trust me, I DO want to. But that's not something you need to bring up again. Keep it to yourself or the locker room and we'll stay cool." Then he winked and started heading to his class. That told me a lot about this school.

The student body was close here. They were used to keeping secrets and protecting each other. That protection extended to the popular teachers as well. I sat down and tried keeping Miss Sin out of my head. The next two classes went by without anything special happening. It was standard English and History taught by younger teachers. It seemed like this school took in graduates right from the boat. When lunch rolled around the corner I set out to find Sin.

I found her in the teacher's lounge eating alone. I went in and sat down opposite her. "My, my, aren't you the ever bold one? You nearly caught me off guard with that entrance this morning, and now you stride into the teacher's lounge to confront me again. I can only imagine what kind of reputation you built at your last school." She's dangerous. My personal file was laid out right in front of her! She sipped her apple Snapple.

"Where did you get that!?"

"I'm...a teacher. It's your student file." I was more edged on than usual. This blonde was playing games with me and it was getting to me. "You seem a bit on the edge, Jake, is that normal for you? Or by any chance, is that because of me?"

"That's not my problem. You know why I'm here. You owe me an explanation." Her eyes never left mine. I'd never seen someone make eating a turkey sandwich look so appealing.

"Ah, well I figured you wanted privacy. You seemed a bit...indecent at the moment, so I didn't stick around. I suppose I can see your frustration. I did stop him before Hunter could finish with you, but I hadn't expected you to enjoy it as much as you did." The blood flushed from my face and I couldn't meet her gaze. She glanced at the window for a second before taking another sip. "Or maybe, you were hoping that I could help ease that frustration." Her voice dropping to barely more than a whisper.

"W-wait, what?" I chocked.

"Of course, that would have to take place after the first report cards come in. I can't go rewarding bad grades, now can I?" her words dripping amusement. She was watching me with the interest a cat gives a new toy and it drove me crazy. Just when I was about to get up and leave before she had me committed for insanity, she spoke again, "I'm sorry. Last night shouldn't have happened like that, but it was inevitable." She turned to look out the window again and I followed her gaze.

Outside held the school's field where some players were out practicing. I searched among the student for whatever held her attention. Then I saw him, the man from last night. At least a foot taller than most of the other teens running about and just as sweaty. The second my eyes found him, his head snapped in my direction and he stared back at me. I watched as he took a fearful step back and tripped over his own feet. His eyes were on me until the track team surrounded him to help him up. It seemed weird that a mythical creature like him would look afraid of anything.

"Hunter is a good kid. Last night was his first moment of weakness. You came so close to home that things got out of control. We...couldn't have seen it coming." She said with her eyes still on him. Then she turned to me, "My brother isn't that type of guy. I understand if you feel violated, and I can't tell you that he will never try that again, but try not to hold it against him." That was the first time she said anything that didn't make me question my entire life.

"So, what? Werewolves are real and he's one of them?" I asked hoping that she wouldn't go back to messing with me.

"He's the alpha of our pack. I'm not telling you that because I feel like exposing anything, but more like I owe you that much of an explanation." She finished her sandwich and got up to leave.

"Wait! You haven't told me why I was attacked at all." I said rising from the seat.

"Oh, my, then maybe you should go ask the big bad wolf yourself. I'm sure he can help you finish this time." Bloody hell. She left me standing there with more questions than before just as the bell rang. Her playful smile was burned into my memory.

Well, there you have it, Chapter 2. Tell me what you think! loved, hated, wished it had more violence, etc leave your thoughts in the comment section so they can be heard :)