Chapter 39

They were all monsters

My head was spinning, but I got the feeling it wasn't because of my fever. The situation felt like it was growing out of my control far too fast. Before I knew it, I was already in the Blakes' car sitting next to Emilia in the front. In all of the wolf hysteria recently, I hadn't really considered what these two would do next.

"You really do have a fever, don't you?" Emilia burst out suddenly. She glanced at me for a second before turning back to the road. Her hand left the wheel and landed on my forehead. "Oh, no. Why didn't your parents take you to the hospital?" she asked.

"Because I just wanted to finish breakfast and rest in my bed, Emilia. You didn't need to go so far as to drag me out of my home like that," I sounded annoyed, because I truly was growing more ticked off by the second. it was like an angry ball of fire was burning away inside of my chest and growing larger with every passing moment.

"You shouldn't stay in that house any longer than you have to. The entire block has been marked by those beasts." Her face scrunched up into a very uncharacteristic frown. "I should take you to a hospital first, shouldn't I? With a temperature like that, it'd be wrong to take you to school," her voice was riddled with doubt. That in itself wasn't a surprise. I'd come to realize that her innocence was genuine. She often doubted herself over little things in the small exchanges I'd had with her so far.

"No. He'll be fine. Just keep going to school." Nick spoke for the first time today. He was giving me the cold shoulder, but I couldn't say that I didn't want him to at the moment.

"Alright...if you're sure," her voice became resolute and suddenly taking me to school seemed like her ultimate mission in life.

It only took a few minutes to make the trip by car, but I was still stunned when we finally arrived. The anger that had been burning me up inside was hotter, larger, and closer than before. When Emilia slammed the breaks in the school's parking lot, I realized that it wasn't even my anger. It was Hunter's.

He stood inches in front of the car wearing nothing but a pair of sweat pants. His face was contorted with rage and he stood at an intimidating eight feet tall. "Get...out...of...car," he said in a brutally husky voice. The Blakes got out before I did and I fumbled to get out myself.

"Ok guys, thanks for the ride. I'll be fine from here. Come on, Hunter." I grabbed his arm and tried to pull him along with me, but he jerked his shoulder out of my grip. Damn wolf.

"I gave you more than enough time to leave this town. You demons will not take this town from us, from me." Hunter growled.

With dread, I realized that this confrontation wasn't even about me. this was bound to happen eventually, and I just happened to be caught in the middle. I hoped the twins would think logically and decide not to trigger Hunter any further than he already was, but I was wrong. So, horribly unbelievably wrong.

Nick pulled out a gun and Emilia slid a thin steel chain out from under her skirt. I barely had time to get out of the way before hell broke loose in the parking lot. Giant Hunter launched himself into the air and came crashing down on top of their car, utterly destroying it! Time slowed down and color faded out of the world in an all too familiar way, but this time it was different. This time, it was so strong that I couldn't move a muscle.

Emilia, completely unfazed by the wave of pressure, pulled a shining silver sickle out of her purse and attached it to the chain. Nicholas jumped back as she began swinging the chain like the deadliest toy in the word. She pulled the bow off her head and let it all fall over her shoulders while she eyed Hunter's frozen form. He wasn't as helpless as I was because he was still managing to move slowly with brute force. But it was obvious that he was practically a sitting duck.

"Burn in hell!" he roared, and began to grow even more. Gray fur began to sprout rapidly from his skin and his shoulders broadened and thickened. His head warped till it was that of a wolf, and in seconds- or hours as far as I could tell- he had become the hulking werewolf I glimpsed so long ago. Only now, it wasn't in some poorly lit alley at night. I could see every detail of the rippling muscles writing under his thick light-gray fur. It almost sparkled white in the rays of light that shone over him. He was absolutely terrifying and awe-inspiring.

His new transformation came with a surge of strength, and now he grabbed the twin's car and literally threw it at Emilia.

Instead of getting crushed to death, she leaped over it like an Olympic dancer and started spinning mid-air. Her chain scythe formed a whirling blade of death which she intended to cut the werewolf down with, but he was fast now. Hunter dodged the swing and lashed out with a massive fist that connected with the girl's side. I inwardly cringed when the sound of crunching ribs was followed by her flying backward like a big doll.

An explosion filled the air and I turned my gaze to spot Nicholas aiming a smoking steel handgun at Hunter. He fired again, and again as he tried to bring the werewolf down.

The bullets sizzled and buzzed loudly when they buried themselves into Hunter's fur. He flinched painfully whenever an explosive shot was fired but remained on his feet, so I couldn't tell if any had truly wounded him.

Wounded or not, he did not remain a standing target for long. He dived to the left for cover behind a white parked minivan. Nick fired once more, trying to shoot through the vehicle before he stopped to reload his gun. He thought he had the giant cornered, but that all changed when the sound of heavy metal scraping against concrete started filling the area.

The entire minivan started rising into the air and Hunter's massive paws could be seen clutching the base. To his credit, Nick didn't cave into shock or fear when he realized what was about to happen. He dashed to the side and rolled out of the way just as two tons of manufactured steel came hurtling in his direction.

From the floor where he'd rolled to, he started firing more shots. Yet, Hunter had decided that the entire parking lot was his to utilize, and he grabbed a small yellow smart car to shield himself. After three explosive rounds set the car on fire, the werewolf howled and slammed the car toward the crouched shooter.

There was no way Nick would have been able to dodge the second car in time, but he didn't have to. Emilia came back in screaming like a warrior princess. She'd somehow replaced her chain scythe with a literal reaper's scythe. A five-foot staff topped with a wickedly curved serrated blade that she wielded with startling confidence. She jumped in and swung the scythe with so much force that it split the small burning car in two, leaving the wreckage to skid harmlessly passed her brother.

Hunter snarled and grabbed the nearest convertible. Grabbed both ends with his massive hands and violently ripped it in two. He then drove his claws into the flesh of both halves and raised them up to shoulder height like giant steel boxing gloves. Meanwhile, Nick had flipped onto his feet and unfastened the metal chain that previously served as a belt. Only now that it was free from its disguise, could I see that the metal studs of the chain were actually carved silver bullets. Emilia tossed her purse to him and he pulled out a second gun before discarding the designer bag.

My body hadn't moved since the start of the fight which felt like ages ago, but I wasn't sure if that was such a bad thing anymore. I wasn't sure if I wanted to catch the attention of either side of this battle. They were all monsters.

Hehe, bet you weren't expecting to see a fight chapter all of a sudden. I'm sorry about the delay on uploading, i'm back home in the city and the wifi is down unfortunately. I apologize if you hated all the violence, but...there's more in the next chapter :3

So, I'm curious. who do you think is going to come out victorious in this battle of demons and werewolves?