Chapter 37

I grumbled and submitted

A few moments passed and I heard some shuffling on the other side of the curtain. Was he undressing!?

The thought made my body feel involuntarily hot and that alone was enough to make me irritated. Hunter's laugh came from a few feet away and I suddenly wanted to bury my head in the ground. I started thinking of all the reasons why he couldn't possibly plan on walking in on me.

The shower was too small for two people. The water was freezing cold. It was weird for two guys to share a shower for no reason. This was illegal somehow! His fur would clog the drain! What was funny enough for him to be laughing so loud?

My mind went quiet and my body held still when he stepped in behind me. His arms reached under mine and wrapped around me, pulling us closer. He let out a soft growl when I tried struggling out of his grasp. I asked him not to bother me!

I won't ask you any questions tonight, but I'm not going to leave you alone either...

His body was literally steaming hot. When his chest pressed fully against my back, a silent gasp slipped from my lips. My body felt extremely alarmed by the conflicting temperature. "Damn it. This isn't fair. You are the one always shutting me out. Why won't you let me do the same? You're a bloody hypocrite." I said the words harshly, but I regretted them the second they came out.

"Jake, just shut up. You're too loud for me right now. I can't think straight when you talk and think at the same time," he grumbled. His heat was slowly winning the battle for control of my body. I was slowly melting into his embrace, and I could tell that he was fully aware of that. His slow breathing made it obvious how focused he was on subduing my body and spirit.

What could he even want from me at this point? It felt like we'd met such a long time ago, but we had no reason to actually be together. Yesterday, he looked annoyed by my existence while I was being chased by his pack.

This supposedly powerful alpha werewolf just watched me run for my life the whole time. What was the point of it all?

You didn't ask for my help, so I didn't help. He said simply.

"Stupid wolf," I made another attempt to free myself, but failed miserably. He punished me by pressing his body closer to mine. Matching his height with mine so that his chest and legs fit perfectly against me. It felt horribly right. He smiled so arrogantly that I could see it with my eyes closed. "Get out of my head."

I'm in love with you, Jake. That's why I'm still here. That's why I came back, and that's why I push you away.

"Wait-"

Every time I hear you think, it pulls me closer. Every time you do something stupid, or you think about the times you were an idiot, I want to see more. I want you, so... so badly that it burns me alive. I could have taken you at any time, and there were so many times that I came close to it. But, I can't bring myself to accept it.

"Hunter-"

Just, let me finish. You want answers, right? I closed my mouth and dipped my head while the water continued to wash over us. My entire family is so...volatile, and dangerous, and independent. We may be a pack, but it's not so tight-knit that they won't turn on me if I go against their beliefs. He physically sighed into my shoulder and sent another chill down my body.

My father...you've met him. You should get why this is hard for me. I know it's hard for you too.

He let go of my abdomen and turned off the water. I finally opened my eyes as he stepped out of the shower. Hunter was pretty far from perfect on most days, but always undeniably handsome. There were times when he looked like a model and his blonde hair shined like dull gold. Yet, sometimes he looked worn out and darker as if he'd been rolled through the dirt.

Yet in that moment, however, he was something entirely different. He turned to watch me and the steadiness of his gaze messed me up inside. He grabbed my hand and pulled me back into my bedroom while we were still dripping wet. When we neared my bed, I tensed and nearly pulled away, but he was too fast and flipped me onto the mattress. "Bad dog! This is not happening right now." I scolded him like the stupid wolf he still was.

He rolled his eyes and climbed onto the bed with me. "I'm not going to do anything in your parents' home, idiot. I have some restraint," he muttered. Once again, he pulled me into him and wrapped our bodies unfairly close. "Not enough to stay away though...that's beyond me for now."

Something happened then. His mind opened up to me, and I could see myself from his eyes. It was almost like looking in a mirror, but I quickly realized that he saw me in a very different light. He saw someone with sharp and clear black eyes that made his confidence waver. Someone with adorable curled hair that he wanted to run his hands through forever. Hunter saw me as someone precious that he was terrified to be torn away from. So terrified, that he was willing to pull himself away just to get it over with. I also realized that he was willing to let me go if I asked him to.

But that was the end of my struggling. I tuned into his thoughts fully and opened my mind to him as well. "If you get hard, I'll bite you," I grumbled and submitted.

I rewrote this particular scene almost a dozen times, and I still wonder if it portrayed the scene properly. Tell me what you thought while reading this chapter. Did the emotions come across well? more than anything, Did you like it?