Chapter 18

I almost kissed a guy

I don't know what would have happened if those two got a chance to reach each other. Both of them looked a lot like cage fighters in the young adult division. I do know that I'm glad I didn't have to find out.

The fire alarms went wild and the lights started flashing red and white. I took advantage of the interruption and grabbed Hunter from behind, pulling him away from the suicidal transfer student. He looked like he wanted to start yelling, but when his eyes actually made contact with mine, things changed. It had been almost a month since Hunter looked at me with his own eyes and his feelings rolled off him like waves. I felt his despair and affection in equal parts. Something about me made him feel hopeless and frantic while at the same time he was undeniably happy to see me. It all showed itself on his face in the form an incredibly pained smile. "Nice...haircut," he breathed.

I wish I could say that he didn't affect me just as much, but I'd be lying. My body remembered him far too well to ignore his presence and I felt heat growing in my chest. The difference was, I still remembered my surroundings, and I wasn't about to get into some sappy reunion with Hunter Sin in the middle of a burning building. I turned away and spotted Emilia Blake beside her brother. She was pulling him toward the exit that had the least traffic going through. As they walked away, Nick cast a single glance back to me and my heart literally stopped. It was like time froze around me and colors faded to gray.

Nicholas remained full color however and he stood out like an angel among shadows. There was no sound in this frozen state, but there was sensation. I could see his desires radiating off him in a way that I could never describe with words. I knew in that moment that he absolutely despised Hunter Sin already and wouldn't forget the exchange they had. I knew that he was confident in his beliefs and fully intended to do whatever he truly wanted to do. I also knew...that he wanted to make me his.

Time returned to normal and my heart kept beating in frantic pulses. My spine felt cold and my knees were unsteady. Even with all my physical training, the whole thing shook me up. Nick smiled at my reaction and turned back to his sister and the exit. I almost didn't hear Hunter start talking, if that was even possible.

"I thought I told you to stay away from them. It'll get you killed. Can't you tell they're dangerous?" he scolded. He didn't have to say it, though. It was obvious from the speed that guy moved and the whole time freeze thing he did. Even if Nicholas Blake didn't hold this aura of power around him, I'd still know to be wary. "If you know, then why would you sit down with him? You can't let dangerous people like that get too close, Jake." I couldn't believe how seriously he managed to say that.

"I don't know ANYONE more dangerous than you, Hunter. You're a fucking werewolf, in case you forgot. I still have a few light scars from when we first met!" his eyes immediately flicked down to my torso and waist. It suddenly hit me that he knew exactly where each tiny scar on my body was located. Somehow I almost forgot the night I'd spent with him in his den and the lack of clothing I endured for the majority of my stay there. My cheeks practically went up in flames. "Stop that!" I barked trying to get his eyes back to my face. His green eyes flicked up to me and the stare was so intense that I nearly regretted it. people talk a lot about intense blue eyes, but they have no idea what a burning emerald gaze can do to someone. His eyebrows rose and I realize he heard my thoughts again. "Damn it, what did I just say!? Stop!"

"You know I can't, Jake. I would if I could. If...if I could take away all of this between us, then I would. I'd even rip you from my memory altogether if it made it quicker." A vile pit started growing in my chest. "My sister says I'm a masochist. That I take pleasure in resisting the things I want and being punished for it. Maybe I am, but I don't enjoy this. I don't want to resist this much and I don't like how much it hurts me."

"Hunter...what are you saying?" I asked but I already knew what he meant.

"You know what I'm saying, Jake. You've seen how much I want you; how easy it is to give into you." His hand rested against the side of my face and he closed the distance between us a little more. His gaze had me paralyzed and my attention was enraptured despite the blaring alarms and flashing lights above. Hell, I couldn't even tell if they were still going, honestly. "So what am I supposed to do with you? If I give in one more time then I won't be able to let it go. I'll be obsessed with you and all the stupid things that you do. My heart will be yours and I'll never want to take it back. If I give in now, I will be yours, but will you be mine?" I was two heartbeats away from hyperventilating. My skin burned everywhere and my body was tensed beyond reason.

I couldn't respond. I literally couldn't bring my voice to function and only a squeak escaped when I tried. Honestly, if Hunter tried to take me right here and now...I'd let him. If he wanted me as badly as he said, then I wouldn't hold him back. If he really gave into me, then...I'd be fine being his idiot. His lips trembled a tiny bit as he listened to my thoughts and heard the response I couldn't speak. For a moment, he fought an unseen battle within himself, but it was over just as fast as it began.

His eyes lowered to my chest and his hands trailed down my arms. Shivers racked my skin as he brought my hands over to his waist, and I slid my fingers under his shirt. A physical quaked rumbled through his body at my touch and he let out a deep breath. His hands went back to my face and he tilted my chin up for a better view. Slowly, ever so slowly, the distance closed between us. His face was so close that I could feel his warm breath on my lips and his eyes closed. My sight dimmed as my anticipation reached new levels. And then the inevitable took place.

His lips brushed against mine just slightly, but enough to sent a bolt of hot lightning down my spine. I waited for the follow-up, knowing that was just the beginning. "YO! Hey, kids! Yeah, I'm talking to you two!" some unbelievably insane, pain in the ass, ratchet ugly assistant principal had entered the lunch room and spotted us. I spent the few moments that Hunter took to pull away from me, cursing up a storm and throwing every cruel insult I'd learned at the AP. "Can't you hear the alarms? What do you think you're still doing in the building? Red flickering lights mean fire!"

"Red flickering lights mean someone didn't pay the damn electric bill!" I snarled. Why was I so angry? No way to be a hundred percent sure, honestly. But I sure as hell wasn't feeling compliant! Hunter started laughing beside me and took off like a cheetah. I got the message and started running in the opposite direction like a much less graceful alley-cat. Whatever was happening just now- or about to happen just now- would have to be rescheduled. As I tore outside into the fresh air, sense returned to me. There was still a layer of warm fuzziness over most of my thoughts, but now I could see the rest of the world at least.

Along with the fresh air, came a slow encasing awareness. An acknowledgment of what just transpired. I was still furious that the moment was interrupted, but there was more than that. It wasn't just a moment of mindless desires like I'd experienced before with Hunter. I wanted him to kiss me. I enjoyed every moment being so close to him. There was this overwhelming feeling of content happiness hanging over my soul during the exchange with him. I almost kissed a guy...and I seriously loved it.

Ok, I've got to know. Did anyone like this chapter as much as I did!? I've never tried writing a kissing scene like this before, so I'm not sure if it came out the way I hoped. I wanted to make it clear that despite everything that goes through their heads at any time, there's something undeniable between Jake and Hunter. This chapter was supposed to show what happens if they give in to each other for just a moment, which is probably why it's my favorite :)