Chapter 30.5

I let the wolf carry me home

"I don't have anything I can say to explain what I've done. So, please, just shut up and forgive me." his lips moved, but he was so close that his thoughts were slipping into my head. The snow below me was starting to melt into my jacket, but his body heat was sinking in as well. I became more aware of the fact that he was still only half dressed and extremely close. Did he know how much he was messing me up inside? "Yes, it's hard to ignore," he whispered behind my ear and sent a hot breath into my neck. F*ck!

"Wait,...not here...we're in-" he bit me softly and a jolt of electricity wiped away my thoughts. "Uhm...something." I could practically feel my intelligence dropping as he started to toy with me. The snow had completely melted and I was basically laying in a puddle at this point. But for the love of god, I didn't care. I gave in and wrapped my hands around his back. A physical tremor went through his body when I touched him and he groaned into my skin. Yeah, I had ways of getting my revenge. His guard had slipped and I took the chance to roll us over so I was on top.

He cursed when his bare skin landed in the cold water, and it brought a smile to my face. That should have cooled him off, but he still stared at me with so much hunger and desire that my body was completely unsettled. Is it weird that I physically wanted to please someone so much? Hunter started laughing and I realized that was the most embarrassing thought I could have had. "Kiss me," he asked suddenly.

"What?" I'd been asked that question possibly a hundred times since he left, but it never sounded that way. In fact, I realized that Hunter wasn't asking.

"I got all wet because of you, so you kinda owe me." My face was burning from both the chill and the heat. I decided to take off my jacket because it was soaked anyway. "Oh, and you also just stripped in front of me, so you owe me two for teasing me." the sounds of the marching bands drifted faintly over to me and I was able to think a little more clearly. There was something important that I was forgetting, and I had a feeling I'd forget it if I actually let Hunter win. He groaned again and splashed some puddle water in my face. This guy's not really about to leave me hanging again, is he?

"The parade...you came out." His eyes widened and I could feel a surge of discomfort take over him. Oh wow, I killed the mood fast.

"What do you mean? I didn't...what did I do?" he stumbled.

"The mass transformation. You came out as werewolves. So what happens now?" a bit of relief washed over him when he realized what I meant. "The hunters are still in town, and I'm pretty sure they can't be the only ones who'd put a target on your back. I mean it's not like you can just go back to school as if nothing happened, right?" he pulled me back down so that my chest was pressed against his and wrapped me up tight.

"The Blakes are just one spawn of demon. There are plenty of them around the world. That's why we've stayed in hiding." I got a feeling it was about to become storytime, so I got comfortable, folding my arms on his chest and laying my head down. He was sturdy enough to handle it. "The full story goes back centuries, and I don't know all of the details. All I know is that at one point, this race of humans invaded a shifter territory and started developing these crazy powers. When the shifters in that pack tried to drive them away, most of them were killed. So the remaining members went to the royal family. They explained the situation, but the royals didn't react at all.

"They let that one race of cruel humans grow powerful and travel without anyone getting in their way. Those monsters multiplied like rabbits and after a few centuries, there were hundreds- possibly thousands- around the world, and they were too strong to wipe out. Those monsters call themselves hunters, but they don't act like it. They invade homes and kill for sport. It's just a game for them so the only word that fits their kind is 'demon'." I flashed back to the story I heard from Nick's uncle but dismissed it quickly so Hunter wouldn't get upset. His storytelling was much more relaxed, and I knew that this was the first time he was explaining this to anyone.

"But we can't keep running and hiding from them. If it keeps going like this then they'll outnumber us one day. So, I reached out to the other pack in the country. Those guys on stage, they're the other Alphas." I wondered if packs had names like I'd read in a book long ago. "Pack names? That's just silly. I'm probably the youngest Alpha by the way. The other guys are just really good shifters and wanted to look good for the parade. So...you don't need to pay much attention to them."

"What about the queen? You were able to get her help too somehow. That sounds pretty impressive." He shook his head.

"That was all my sister. Nicole somehow convinced the royals that it was time to fight back. I have no idea how she pulled it off, but she got the attention of the pure whites." His eyes lit up again like emeralds and I could feel the excitement building in his chest. Hunter was looking forward to fighting apparently. "It's a war, so it's not going to be fun. But at the end of it, we'll be free. There won't be any reason to move from town at the first sign of trouble." I was kind of amazed that the wolf wasn't shivering despite laying in a puddle this whole time. His warmth was starting to make everything fuzzy. I really didn't want to move. "Idiot, don't fall asleep in the middle of the street. I can take you home if you want, or... to my place. If you want me to."

Now I know that the logical thing would be to get up and walk straight home. That would be smart and safe, so I should do that. Acting helpless and weak wasn't really in my nature, but right now felt different. It felt like back when I was a kid and loved being spoiled as an only child, before I outgrew it I mean. "I can't move. You'll have to carry me somewhere, Wolfe."

He grunted and I smirked, but he lifted me off his chest and carried me in his arms anyway. If I was in my normal frame of mind, I would have done literally everything different, but right now...I just closed my eyes and let the wolf carry me home.

So this was a little story time chapter as well as a romantic tease. in case you were worried, nothing is too wrong with Jake. He's just so happy to have Hunter back that his vulnerability is showing a bit. Also, as you can see from the .5 in the chapter title, the next will be a PoV chapter. If there's a specific character you want to see more of in it, leave a comment below and I'll upload the one with the most requests probably.

Also out of curiosity, what do you guys think of Nick's family now that you've heard the story from a different angle? Angels, demons, or something else entirely?