Chapter 7

I entered the wolf's den

The concrete residence wasn't as dull as I expected on the inside. Inside posters, candles, strings, and chains decorated the walls while weights, gym equipment, video games, and comics littered the floor. The walls were painted black which was ominous, but the carpet was thick and crème colored which balanced it out in a nice way. There was a couch in front of an old tv and a bed with a dresser at another end of the home. It was all one big cozy room that looked great. Nothing in it was expensive or lavish, but it still had the feel of a designer place.

"You're gonna stand there and stare all day? If you have that little to say, might as well hand over my chain first." Hunter remarked as he walked over to the little table that leaned against the wall. He took a seat and turned to face me. There was only one chair, so I guessed it was his dining table. "Ah, so he can hear. Good, what do you want to know? Let's make this quick, so I can get my chain back." god, his attitude was making me want to throw a brick at him. A smirk rose to his lips as I thought that, but it must have been a coincidence.

"I want to know what the hell is wrong with you. Your sister says you need help, and I can't say she's wrong about that. You could definitely use some serious help, but not mine. Tell me why she thinks I can help." I grabbed the beanbag that I noticed lying next to the door and used to it sit across from him at the table. He looked incredibly annoyed by something, but I wasn't sure what triggered him so far.

"I pass on that."

"It's not that kind of interview. There's no passing," I replied quickly.

"Screw you," he paused for so long that I thought he wouldn't answer. My time could be spent at home right now, so I got up to leave. "Wait! I really do need that back, please." Not for the first time, I saw him panic. Miss Sin wasn't kidding about the necklace's importance.

"Then start talking." I sat down and stared him straight in the eyes.

"Nicole thinks I need you in my life. She thinks you can help me relax and go back to being a stupid kid." Progress. Now we're talking.

"Alright, but why? I've never even met either of you before last week. How would she know anything about me?" he scoffed and turned to look somewhere in the room.

"You're not exactly an enigma now are you. Came to town forty-nine days ago. Can't sleep at night unless you tire yourself out first. Spend all your free time writing your thoughts in a diary that you call your, 'journal.' You're somehow okay with being completely alone on a Saturday night. You daydream about becoming a wild animal and escaping into the forest. You act tough, but I know you just want people to think that's natural for you. It's not exactly hard to figure out who you are, Jake. I know...I know how much it hurt you to get out last week." ...I don't know where he got that from. What could I say? Those weren't things that he should know; those weren't things that I admitted...

I stared at him without saying a word. My tongue felt trapped inside my mouth, and every time I tried to speak, silent air came out.

"Relax. My sister doesn't know all that about you. She can't hear your thoughts or feel your presence, but she knows that I can." He said in an attempt to shock some life back into me. It didn't help much.

"Why do you know so much about me? Have you been stalking me since I got here?" a wave of rage crashed over Hunter's face. He slammed the small table with his hands and rose out of his chair. I tried pushing back deeper into the beanbag. His eyes were wide with anger and disbelief. This guy got triggered too easily for someone that looked like he could knock down a tree with one punch.

"DO YOU THINK I WANT TO KNOW YOU!? Think it's fun waking up one day and realizing that your special person is some random guy that moved into town? Every time I close my eyes I see you, I hear you, and I can't shut it down!" on instinct, I reached into my pocket and grabbed the chain. It felt hot in my hand, and I squeezed tightly. Hunter froze. His face dropping its anger in an instant and staring at me in shock. "Please let go...I'll sit."

I hadn't realized how scared I was until he said that and I released my death grip on the pendant. "I need more explanation. I'm not judging you yet, I just want to know." I asked tentatively.

"When a werewolf reaches a certain age...they can fall in love. Not emotionally like everyone else, but physically and spiritually. It happens to everyone, but it's different with an alpha. I can't fall in love with just anyone. For me, it can only happen once, and that will last for the rest of my life. It's called mating, and it's just as the word implies. When you moved here...I felt you come into my head one night.

"It was late, and I was lying down right there on the couch. I was staring at the roof and thinking about school. Then I heard your voice. You sang this cheesy song, 'If I could begin to be, half of what you think of me. I could do about anything, I could even learn how to-'"

"I remember that. I was dreaming. I had my headphones on that night." The memory came back easily.

"Yeah. At first, I was happy. You sounded really pretty and light in your head." Hunter's anger was long gone by now. I could see the traces of a smile forming as he recounted the story for me. "I listened all night, up until I fell asleep. When I woke up that morning, I closed my eyes and searched for you again. Suddenly I could see your body like a 3D outline filled with light. That's when I realized you were another guy." The pieces started pulling together finally. "I tried shutting it off, thinking that I saw the wrong person, but I couldn't. you're the only one I could see from ten miles away with my eyes closed. I can only feel this connection with someone once in my life, yet it started with you.

"Maybe it's not your fault at all, but I...that's not how I go. I'm not okay with you, being what you are to me," he said awkwardly.

"Ok, I get that. But why did you attack me last week? You uh... kind of rap-"

"I'm sorry, ok? I told Nicole that won't happen again! Sending you here doesn't make anything better. Seeing you in front of me doesn't make it easier." Oh...so that's what this is. "It's not easy to shut you out, but I've been trying. Nicole thinks giving into you will make things easier, but I can't do that. I can't control myself around you. Every time I see you, it makes me want to throw up." Scratch that, I understood none of that. This conversation was beginning to hurt my brain, so I stood.

"If that's how I make you feel, then it's not that complicated. I'll stay away and you will too. No problem." The blonde looked so relieved that my stomach sank into a pit. I started walking toward the door.

"Don't forget my chain. If you understand, hand it over. I can't steal it from you; it has to be given." There was a smile on his face that made me feel awful for some reason.

"No, I didn't forget. But I'm going to hold onto it for a while. Until I'm sure you can keep yourself from attacking me, I'll keep it as protection." Hunter turned pale and stood up to try and grab me. I flinched, remembering the last time he touched me, but he didn't lay a finger on me.

"Please, don't leave with it. Jake, please." He faced me up close, and my heart almost stopped. Up close, he's ridiculously attractive. I can't even explain why, but he is. Hearing him plead brought on a weird set of emotions that I didn't understand. I looked at the pendant in my hand and shook my head.

"I need to know you won't hurt me. I can't trust you that easily, and this chain is all I have to defend myself. Goodbye, Hunter." I walked out of the room and didn't look back at the werewolf. I went into the wolf's den and came out with more than I could understand.

So, that was a very heavy chapter ;~; you know what they say, it's got to get worse before it can get better. Right now Jake has his trust issues but I don't think it's all over already. let's find out what happens next.

Like always, leave a vote or a comment to let me know if you're still interested in this story. If you spotted any grammar issues that I missed, feel free to curse me out ;)