Chapter 33

I hate him already

I didn't go in with a clear mind or an open heart, nothing at all like that. In fact, I hadn't felt so judgmental and critical in months. My body simply obeyed the voice in my head as I watched down at everything. I'd only briefly been told about the Sin family's shop, and had no clue what to expect. Yet, I somehow didn't expect to find myself standing in front of an actual blacksmith's workshop.

There was an unexplainable amount of nervousness filling my lungs when I pushed open the metal door to the shop. I wouldn't have been called in to meet the family if Hunter hadn't told them about our relationship. So...I guessed that made it official for some people. Not for me, but for some. "Hello?" I called into the empty store.

The front room was pretty normal, all things considered. I looked over the dozens of iron and steel trinkets that covered the tables and lined the shelves. I also noticed the shop was decorated by these weird colorful strings that hung loosely from the roof and bordered the room corners. It cast a similar vibe to Hunter's den despite the clear difference in overall design and size. It was all very smooth and mature.

No one had responded to my call, but there was a trail for me to follow. The tools that weren't locked down or hidden away, all faced out of the shop. It wasn't so noticeable at first, but as I traveled deeper into the store, I found that everything pointed out. When I reached the back room, I found a thin iron door partially hidden within the wall. The door had been painted along with the rest of the wall and was extremely easy to miss. Yet, the tools were facing away from it, not just outside. Pfft, was that supposed to be a test?

I reached out and turned the small handle on the door to push it open. The handle was weak and I nearly broke it at first touch, but the door was extremely heavy and didn't budge. Another test, one that proved to be far more annoying. I could just imagine a bunch of beefy werewolves laughing on the other side, waiting for me to start calling for help to open a door. No, that couldn't happen. I took a couple steps back then rammed my shoulder into the iron door with everything I had. The metal thumped and shook, but only ground open a bit. My shoulder stung, but it proved that there was no trick to the door. It was just a damn heavy piece!

Once more, to widen the gap. Twice more, to show I wouldn't stop. When my arm felt like it was about to fall off, I shifted my weight to my weaker leg and spun around. Everything I had was thrown into that kick which burst the stupid door open. Limping proudly, I walked through the short tunnel and entered the room of dangerous shape-shifters.

There was a lone whistle from somewhere in the room and someone said, "Good to see they still teach a little something about grit in those high schools." The voice came from one of the dozen tables that were packed into the deceptively huge room. A giant flat-screen was mounted to the wall above my head and showed images of the shop out front. I'd been expecting a small room like a cave where a couple burly shirtless men and women would be tearing apart a zebra and drinking it up while howling to the moon goddess or whatever.

In actuality, the cave was modern and took up the majority of the building space. Silver tables and chairs seated a few dozen people, but there were entire families here. The tables were organized around one central table where I recognized one of the four occupants. Nicole Sin waved seductively at me from twenty feet away and my confidence instantly took a hit. Not a second later, the older woman next to her slapped the back of Nicole's head and the younger boy snatched a chicken wing off her plate. My heart soared to see panic and embarrassment take place on my teacher's face for even a moment.

"How long are you going to stand there? Introduce yourself." A small man from the nearest table spoke. Where was that confidence of mine again..? I moved deeper into the room so everyone could see me clearly.

"My name is Jake Kent, from Viridian High." Don't let my voice crack, or they'll eat me. "I came to-um, I came at Mr. Sin's request..." the weight of their eyes pulled my mind back into my body and effectively erased my composure. Suddenly, I couldn't remember why I thought this was a good idea. They could probably smell my fear by now. My brain filled with chaos after a few moments dragged on in silence. "So...is he here?"

"There's a table apart from the rest with four people that share a strong resemblance to Hunter Sin. Two appear to be in his age group and two are an appropriate age for his parents. You have already recognized one of them as his elder sister, so it's only rational to assume that the rest of his family is at the table. With that in mind, would you like to take another guess as to whom Mr. Sin may be in this room." The woman's voice made my heart sink into my shoes. It was cold and precise, clipped and deadly, simple yet merciless. The same woman who punished her daughter for flirting a moment ago. Mrs. Sin.

"I...yes, I..." oh god just kill me now. If I couldn't be confident, I guess it was time to start faking it. I shifted my posture into a more relaxed stance and responded, "I wasn't sure. Most people don't keep a guest waiting for an entire day after inviting them. If any of you wanted to speak to me, then don't just stare quietly. I don't have that much free time to give you." A collective eyebrow rose on everyone's face. They'd better get the fire ready fast because I'd give them hell holding me down if they decided to eat me after that.

"I told you he was Bold," Nicole purred from her seat. The silence had been slowly breaking as people started chatting quietly at the other tables.

Mr. Sin rose to his feet and I saw that he was only a couple inches taller than me. His body was stacked like a brick, but his face seemed soft. "You have been sleeping with my eldest son." All sound suddenly vaporized, including the beating of my heart. Every time these people spoke, it killed me a little inside. What's wrong with them? Who says that kind of thing in the middle of a crowded room?

"I don't think-"

"I do not care what you think. I did not ask. I do not care how your generation sees gay relationships. We do not accept it here. You've broken rules just walking in here today, and it makes me want to break your neck." His body trembled and I glimpsed the bulging muscles underneath his plaid shirt. "I won't- I can't even try to think to think about what you've done to my son, but I know it is too late. I am giving you two options now. The third option kills you, so do not bother being smart.

"You will join our pack and become a shifter. An alpha has already agreed to change you if that is what you decide. Cry for his help, and he will protect you. Do so, and I will turn a blind eye to your...involvement with my son.

"Or, you will prove that you are strong enough without the transformation. If you have enough power on your own, I at least will not have to worry about you endangering my alpha with your..." his eyes narrowed and practically burned me down with disapproval, "detestable nature. If you refuse the transformation, some of us will try to kill you right here and now." what?.

"What?" I stuttered.

"You have two seconds to decide," he whispered and I knew he wanted to kill me the most. With god as my witness, I truly hate Hunter's father. I hate him so much already.

You remember that action tag next to the romance and drama tags? ;) Ladies and Gentleman, time to place your bets on the winners, heroes, and monsters alike! Tell me who your favorite character(s) are at this point or what you hope to see happen next :)