Chapter 40

The wolf learned how to sit

My connection with Hunter had been different from the time I woke up that morning. When we laid in bed together, he had opened his mind to me fully so that I could see his entire life like a movie. I knew how he felt, how he thought, how he saw the world. So, when I got a glimpse of his glowing emerald eyes blazing like balls of neon light, I knew his mind wasn't in control anymore.

His canine jaw dropped open and for a second it was like everything in the world went silent. Then a rippling sound of pure animalistic rage made the very ground shake beneath my legs. Tendrils of steaming mist rose off his bristling gray fur as he raised the torn husk of a convertible above his head.

Emilia was somehow undaunted by his rage and power. Her slim frame flew over the parking lot space between them and pulled back her reaper scythe to slice open the body that he'd left exposed, but she'd underestimated the werewolf's intelligence. The beast slammed the raised car husk down on her in a brutal crushing motion. I couldn't watch as the sound of scraping steel rippled from the collision.

My eyes stayed shut even when the sound of explosive gunfire began pounding into my eardrums, crashing against the inside of my skull. Howls and shouts of fury filled the darkness of my view.

I tried connecting to Hunter. Searching through my mind for that link to him that had stayed with me through so much. Instead of finding my guy, all I found was a burning red wolf that lashed out at my attempt to approach it. The surprise was enough to shock me out my paralyzed state and open my eyes again.

Emilia Blake wasn't dead. Her right arm had been scraped horrendously and laid limp at her side while she balanced her scythe with her left arm and shoulder. She and Nicholas were pushed onto the defensive by the furious beast of rage that Hunter had become. Nicholas was covered in motor oil and scrapes while his sister was bloody and bruised from the close clashes with the werewolf. Despite their injuries, the look of determination remained steady in both of their gazes.

"Stop!" I finally managed to shout. I was tired of helplessly watching their clash. Hunter was mine and I'd side with him if that's what it came down to, but this wasn't right. He'd kill the twins at this rate, and I doubted they wouldn't kill him if he gave them a chance. I needed a way to put an end to this without enabling them.

I took a deep breath and braced myself. A second past and a silver bullet ricocheted past my ear, but I didn't flinch. Another breath, adrenaline surged through my veins and my heart pounded in my head so loud it was like a drum solo. I imagined it was music.

"I said..." my body lunged forward. I leaped into the heart of the battle and dashed right between the twins, knocking the gun out of Nick's hand and tripping Emilia before they could recover from the surprise. I made straight for Hunter and dived low right as he swiped at me with five hundred pounds of wrecked steel. As my body slid under the swing and came within range of the beast, I sprung back up and threw myself at the werewolf's chest. "Stop!"

I was nowhere near strong enough to knock him off his feet, but that wasn't my goal. Standing so close to the werewolf that I could feel the fiery heat radiating from his silky gray fur, I threw my hands around him and buried my face in his chest. His claws scraped against my back and sent spikes of pain up my spine, but it was the smell...oh god, the smell...

Raging beast or not, Hunter's scent nearly made me lose focus on everything I needed to do. It was warm and musky in the best ways, like steaming honey and morning grass. My mind went back to the first time I got distracted by that same scent. Months ago in a misty shower room. He was wet and angry like always. He had me pinned against a wall and tried to scare me away. So much had changed since then, but there we were in the same situation. When he first pushed me away, I wasn't strong enough to stick around him. I was too scared and too hurt to chase after someone so dangerous.

Not anymore. Hunter! Did you forget what you promised me? I mentally shouted the words as clearly as I could. You said you were mine!

Jake... his voice sounded like a quiet echo in my mind. I felt a tremor ripple through the werewolf's body.

I gave myself to you because I trust you. I trust in my Wolfe, but you need to hold up your end. Give yourself to me too! A bunch of things started happening at once. The rage that was flooding our bond began to wither and retreat. The hulking werewolf started shrinking and the gray fur receded into his body. The two massive hunks of metal that he'd been holding smashed into the floor behind me. While all of that was happening, Hunter's feelings came through to me.

He was still furious, but he cared about me too much for it to matter. In moments, he'd transformed back down to my size and gazed at me with blurry green eyes and a tired smile. His clothes were long gone and his skin was slick with sweat, but he didn't seem injured aside from a few bruises on his chest.

"Hunter...sit," I ordered gently. He looked at me stunned by my request, but only for a second. My wolf pouted and sat down on his knees without question. I smiled in relief to see him back to normal.

I love you. So don't ignore me like that again.

Alright. Never again.

I nearly laughed out loud. There were no words to describe how happy and relieved I felt for that simple action. The wolf learned how to sit like such a good boy.

Is the action over? hahaha, not just yet. Jake calmed his beast boyfriend, but what about them demon twins? How do you think Nick and Emilia will react now that the big bad werewolf has decided to sit and play nice? leave your thoughts or predictions below in the comments :)

Also, slight slip-up on my part. I forgot to ask what flashback chapter you'd like to see for chapter 40.5 All of your opinions really matter to me, so let me know who you might like to see from next. All, and I mean ALL of the characters have a backstory, and are living their lives as the story progresses, so you can request any of the characters previously mentioned in Alpha Obsession, (well, except Jake since that would be too much of a spoiler to reveal his past ;) ).