Chapter 27

Everything was normal again

"N-n..." my voice abandoned me. My instincts were going haywire and my brain was in a twister. A large part of me wanted to shut down Nicholas' advances once again, but I was afraid. Afraid that I wouldn't be able to take it back once I'd done it. Hunter left the very moment I turned him down and I never saw him again. He never even looked back. I don't know what I'd do if Nick left because of the same reason. "I-I need more time. Please...just don't ask again for a while." He didn't look happy to see my indecision, but he exhaled and nodded anyway.

"Alright. I won't push you into a decision yet, but I do need something. The late winter parade in a few weeks. Go with me; just with me." he sounded like those were questions even though I knew better. Night had fallen over us like a dark blue curtain while we talked. I cursed myself for not bringing an actual jacket today. My body has no tolerance for cold, but I didn't think I'd be out long enough for it to matter. Nicholas saw me shivering and I kinda guessed he would offer me his jacket. Of course, that would be too easy for him. "Come here, I'm warm enough for both of us!" he threw an arm over my shoulder and I nearly judo flipped him for it.

"You can just go home. It's not like I can't handle a little cold." My voice trembled and he smirked while shaking his head. There was no point in fighting this guy, so I let him walk me home.

The next few weeks went a bit differently. I took my appearance a little more seriously and actually tried to look decent every day. Not to impress anyone of course, just because I could. Coach Clinton never cut me any slack because of the weather, and I stopped expecting him to. Snow finally started flooding the skies of Viridian like gentle static on an old t.v. and a soft white blanket covered every street. Everything started to feel so unbelievably normal that my mood never darkened much during that time.

Nicholas was fine, or maybe a little more than fine. I finally caved in and gave him my number which apparently gave him permission to call me every day. It was usually late at night when I actually started answering him. My homework and books would tire me out and then he'd call and talk about something random and light till I hung up and passed out. Eventually, he started walking home with me on certain days where the snow was coming down harder. Everything was so normal.

I got to know his sister better as well. On rare occasions, I sat with her and tried making conversation. "I really like the snow. It's more beautiful than rain, more gentle than hail, and more perpetual than fog. I can stand in the snow all day and it would never feel like a mistake." She often said things deep and meaningful like that. When I was around her, I could see something that confused me in her. It was too innocent. She looked like she couldn't hurt a fly and radiated that gentle peace that I often felt around my mom. It made me wonder if the scythe-wielding demon that cut up Hunter's pack was related to her at all. It was probably someone else.

"So the parade is coming soon. Are you planning on going with anyone?" Nick asked me the night before the event. I rolled my eyes so hard that I hoped he heard it over the phone. He made it sound like I had a choice in the matter.

"Yeah, Nicky. I'm going with this pushy asshole that doesn't know how to hold himself back. You might know him." Could he feel my sarcasm? I truly hope it sunk in deep.

"Wow, you're going with a dude? I didn't know you swung that way! Does that mean I have a chance too?" that idiot nearly made me laugh. I was grateful that he couldn't see the smile on my face. "I hear this year is going to be a big deal for the town. There's some kind of grand unveiling planned for during the parade. Major news channels will be recording there, so you might want to wear extra layers. We wouldn't want you to end up on t.v. looking irresistible for the entire world to see right?"

"Oh, shut up." He laughed and there was a nice silence for a while afterward. It was close to that moment where I normally fell asleep during the call. Right before I planned on hanging up, he broke the silence.

"I hope you'll choose me tomorrow. I want to finally put a claim on that independence." It was cheesy and stupid, but I knew he was serious as well. I hung up without giving an answer.

The next day was perfect for the event. My father took the day off to drive me to the main road and he promptly made himself scarce when Nicholas came around. He had a special viewing with my mom, so I knew he wouldn't miss a thing.

"Can I kiss you?" not this again! The sidewalks were beginning to fill up and the music was growing louder with every moment. We stood right at the front where the view of the incoming floats was clear of obstacles. I noticed there were far more camera crews than seemed appropriate for such a small town event, but I didn't care.

"No," I said sternly. It was practically an automatic response at this point. The first of the floats passed and I was surprisingly excited to see a female Santa Clause singing on the platform. Very tall and barely dressed elves danced around her and made the whole thing hilarious. I was beginning to feel this weird happiness in my chest now that wasn't there for the past month. I couldn't explain it, but I was happy to have this 'normal' back in my life.

"Would you stop me if I tried?" I knew it was coming since it always came right after I said no. Nicholas was about as normal as a hurricane in the desert, but he didn't seem so foreign anymore. Months of his behavior made him seem even more normal than the snow-suited marching band that went by us now. It should have been easy to decline, but something weird happened instead. I felt his gaze burning into me and realized that this time was different. He wasn't kidding.

"Oh...uhm...what was the question?" I stumbled. The music was a bit overbearing with multiple singers competing for attention. I tried desperately to seem focused on the parade, but it was like I was under a heat lamp all of a sudden. The amount of pressure I felt watching me made it feel like all the expensive cameras were pointed at me instead of the road.

"Relax, Jake. I just want to know. I don't know about you, but I like the way things have been. I want to keep it like this, but I need to know first. Would you stop me?" he asked finally. Two things distracted me from the parade completely. One was the guy standing next to me, promising a very safe relationship. The other was the overwhelming attention that seemed to be crushing my shoulders for some reason. It was strange and familiar at the same time but I couldn't remember why.

Gasps and shouts started erupting from far down the block where the performers entered the parade. Something was coming and gaining plenty of attention, but my focus was torn. With a sigh, I realized what was coming before I saw it. Nicholas needed an answer, and I knew it was time to give him one. Crap, everything was just starting to be normal again! Everything was normal again...until a howl tore through the sky.

How about them cliffhangers? (^_^)

As usual, I read every comment so please feel free to let me know your thoughts on the story so far. If you've come this far, I'd love to hear what you have to say. I'll be away on vacation for a few days, so there won't be an update for a little while, but then I'll return with a vengeance ;)