Chapter 11

My stomach twisted into knots while Jake was in my shower. All of the clothes I had left were worn at least once, but I needed something that would fit him when he got out. A pair of jeans off the floor and an open-neck shirt off my bed were the best options, so I handed them to him when he came out. Jake Kent actually had the nerve to walk up to me completely naked and wet, straight out of the shower. He looked at me expectantly, and I realized he wanted a towel. It took everything in my power not to react. The burning desire that raged inside my chest was two seconds away from suffocating me, but I held it down. It wasn't the first time I'd seen him naked, and I could tell he was aware of that, but it was still a shock to have him stand in front of me like that. Doesn't he know how much seeing him stirs me up? Even when he's wearing actual clothes!

I tossed the clothes to him and tried keeping my expression calm while he dressed. Last night was crazy and still burned into my memory like a major motion picture. My entire body remembered the way he felt. The way his skin tingled under mine and how his cries fueled my aggression. I could feel my body growing hotter as I tried to repress the memories. I almost didn't hear him speak when he asked, "Don't you own a mirror?" what a silly question. It's common sense that any half-decent shape-shifter wouldn't keep mirrors around the house. If I watched myself in the mirror for long enough, I'd find things I didn't like about my looks. Then I'd want to change them, and I had the power to do that. I just want to look like myself at home, not anyone else.

"Of course not," I said as if my reason was obvious. Jake's eyebrow twitched, and his pupils dilated for a moment before he looked away. I didn't look away. Tearing my gaze away from Jake Kent was probably the hardest thing to do in my whole life. It wasn't just his looks, or his clothes, or his attitude; it was everything. He looked like a normal teenage guy with short black hair and brown eyes. His face was always a bit tense when he watched people as if he tried keeping his emotions separate from his appearance.

Yet, nothing about him felt normal to me. I could see Jake's emotions on his face like a reflection above the one he showed. His thoughts were clear and light, but they were random and repetitive when he let his mind wander. He still wondered why I held onto him for the whole night, but that was just stupid. How on earth could I let him go?

When his dreams told stories of his past? When his thoughts came out like poetry and his voice sang light and clear? When all of his existence was like an open book to me? How could I let him go, when everything that I wanted in a relationship was right on my lap and sleeping without a care in the world? No, I could never let go of that stupid guy when he put himself in my arms.

"Alright, I'll be heading to school. See you when I see you, I guess." He said, snapping me out of my thoughts. He was already halfway out of the door, and I panicked.

"Hang on! I'll drive you!" what? What the hell am I doing? I started convincing him and myself that it was a good idea to let me drive us. We weren't that far from the school, but I needed more time with him. I wasn't ready to let him out of my sight again. 'My mom told me not to get into a car with strangers..?' his attempts at finding a way to refuse were so idiotic that I almost laughed out loud. "Come on, Kent. My car is close." I started heading to my van while praying that he came up with a reason not to follow.

Of course, he didn't. I started driving, and Jake started thinking up a storm. He thought about classes, my sister's bio exam, and sports. I could tell that he wanted to start working out now. There was this new desire in his chest to grow stronger and tone up for some reason. Above all else, I could see this image in his head that grew clearer as he started drifting off to sleep. The turn for our school came up, but I ignored it and kept driving. It was insanity, but I wanted more time with him.

He fell asleep, and I had to fight the desire to run my fingers along his cheek. His dreams appeared before me like an astral movie in my head, and I saw him dreaming of last night. It turns out that I wasn't the only one that was having a hard time getting passed it. I listened to him grumbling as he pictured me up close. Jake doesn't realize how much he means to me. He doesn't get why I wouldn't let him touch me. that one moment where he put his hands on me...the whole world disappeared. Suddenly it was just him and me, nothing else. It's not safe to be near him when I feel like this. This man can take over my whole life with a single touch, and I'm scared.

Even now, I'm driving in circles around the school because I don't want to let go. He's dreaming about what I did to him, and it's making me hot under the collar. If I let this continue, I'll be even more obsessed with this guy. I really don't want to be mated with another man. Even if the list of things I love about him grow with every passing moment. Even if I tear myself apart and have to chain myself to a wall to keep sane. I have to do it because of what he does to me. He makes me like him; he makes me an idiot.

So, this scene is clearly from Hunter's perspective and takes place at the same time as the last mini-chapter. I was trying to portray Hunter's way of thinking in contrast to Jake's. Hunter is more naturally confident and does a far better job with keeping his emotions private. Everything should be logical in his opinion so he reacts strongly to things that aren't. You know also get a clearer picture of how Hunter sees his 'mate'. Jake is everything that he truly wants in a person, while at the same time he's something that Hunter can't bring himself to accept. Jake is an idiot, so if Hunter accepts him, what does he become?

As always, leave a vote if you liked this and leave a comment if you want to see more :)