Chapter 25

I told him to show me

I knew he was already gone, but I didn't know why it had a physical effect on me. I was passed the confusion stage and accepted that some large part of me missed that stupid wolf like hell. What really worried me was the coldness that seemed to find a place in my chest now that he was somewhere far away. It basically replaced the pressure that his gaze had on- used to have on me. I started fighting it off with music and my headphones became my new best friend. It was the only thing that made it possible for me to act like nothing had changed.

"Now if Mr. Kent cared to take the speakers out of his head, he would know the answer to this logarithmic expression. Sadly it seems as though he's been possessed by modern technology." Mr. Enfold was one of the elder teachers in the school and taught trigonometry.

"There is no answer since you haven't written a question. You only find answers to equations, not expressions. The 'Simplification' of that expression is log of 83. Modern tech is very smart Mr. Enfold, so I don't see a problem with being possessed by it." I watched his eyes narrow into a glare. Depressed or not, I wasn't about to let anyone make me look stupid. I spend countless hours studying to make sure that doesn't happen. I mean I literally study till I pass out on some nights

Everything went normally throughout the day and I did everything I could to be my normal self. Then came lunch and I spotted Nick coming my way. He was quite a few yards away, but I knew he'd try to swipe my tray before I could get anywhere. So, I put a death grip on both sides of the plastic waiter. A second later he'd closed the distance and reached for my plates. I expected and prepared myself to fight him over it.

Instead, he slipped it right out of my hands with ease. I put up no fight whatsoever and practically dropped it into his hands. I glared at the confident smile on his face. "I'll carry this for you," that soft voice got on my nerves every time he spoke!

"How the hell do you do that? You can't be that strong, I don't care what you say. I know there's something else going on with you, and I'm going to figure it out no matter what." He'd started walking to the soccer team's table, forcing me to follow. He turned back and gave me a confused look.

"You make it sound like it's some big secret, but this is the first time you've asked. I can show you more, if you want it. I'll even explain it to you if that's what you want." My eyes widened at his sudden change of heart. Well, maybe it was true that I just assumed he would make me fight for answers. I grabbed his collar and yanked him toward an empty table. "Oh, Jake, grabbing me from behind before even buying me coffee? Wow that's pretty bold even for you." I ignored his weak joke and sat down.

"Alright, explain." I said, pulling my tray back to me.

"Well, just like my uncle told you, I'm an angel. As long as I don't suppress it, my desires can become almost physical. It manifests in an aura that I can control. I can use it to weaken or even control other living things. It helps ridiculously with hunting, because weaker animals simply can't move if I don't want them to. It's why we can fight shifters even though they are physically stronger than us. If their body doesn't want to fight, then it doesn't matter how tough the muscles are. When I want to, I can even force someone to feel what I want them to. But for that, I need to have complete control over them first.

"To be honest, the only thing that can really fight against my control at this point is an elder shifter, or a powerful werewolf. Everything else is like Child's play," he said it so nonchalantly that I couldn't believe he was talking about this magical power that he had over living things. He called himself an angel, but depending on how that kind of power was used, he could be an absolute monster. "Take a look at my sister." He pointed to the right of our table by the window.

I spotted Emilia Blake sitting alone. She smiled and everyone waved at her as she passed by. It was strange. She seemed so nice, and everyone was especially friendly with her. I'd seen plenty of guys fawning over her since she arrived, but right now... "she's sitting alone. Your sister is too cute to be sitting alone like that, so what happened?"

"It's what happens when an angel holds back. Her aura makes it impossible for people to get too close without feeling inferior. Unless she acts aggressively and tries to be around someone, they'll avoid her because people automatically put her on a pedestal." I noticed with a start that Nicholas was angry. His voice was always so soft that I almost didn't notice the edge in it now. "It's not fair that she has to be alone just because regular people are so damn insecure. Do they think she cares if they aren't perfect? No, she doesn't! I can't even go over there because I lose my voice when I'm next to her. There's no point sitting together if we can't talk to each other easily."

"What about that time when you did the time freeze thing? That seemed to effect everyone at the same time." I said trying to change the subject from one that I couldn't control. Though, the smile that broke out on Nick's face was pretty frightening and made me want to take it back.

"Oh, that? Well that's something I have to be in the zone to explain. How about you come with me after school for a bit. All you have to do is let me show you." His smile was devilish and sent warning bells ringing all over my head, but my curiosity had taken the bait. What did I have to lose anyway?

"Alright, fine. I'll meet you by my locker then." What did I have to lose? I told him to show me.

Oh, Jake. When will he learn? Do you think he'll regret this decision, or will Nicholas prove to be an angel after all?