Chapter 12

The wolf shut me down

It was a gentle nudge that made my eyes begin to flutter open, but it was the forceful flick to my ear that actually woke me up. My previously colorful dreams scrambled away into oblivion as I took in my surroundings. I was in the passenger seat of a van parked next to my school. The typical feeling of being watched was much more palpable and I realized I wasn't alone. There was a blonde dude frowning at me from behind the wheel.

"How long are you going to stay there? This isn't a motel and I'm not leaving you alone in my car, Kent." Hunter Sin was an expert at making me feel stupid with his trademark annoyed tone. I shook off the last vestiges of sleep and got out of the car. School was already in session and only a trickle of late students still wandered by the entrance. How did we get here so late? Hunter coughed beside me and started heading inside. Following his lead, I listened when he spoke up again. "My sister will let you slide this time. Just go straight to her class."

I wanted to stop and question him a bit but missed my chance. As soon as we were in the halls and I opened my mouth to speak, Hunter started sprinting up the path. He was gone in seconds like the stupid track star that he is. Whatever. I was more worried about the reaction I'd get from the older Sin at the moment. My biology teacher had plenty of ways to punish me when she felt the need. None of which were normal.

"Jake! You're late...What-" she started as soon as I stepped into the classroom. She looked me over for a hot moment and apparently changed her mind about punishing me. It suddenly dawned on me that she would recognize her brother's clothes on me. An enormous smile blanketed her face and I could swear she was about to start giggling. "That's a very cool shirt. I bought one just like it a few years ago. Why don't you have a seat and join table 5 for the activity?" that was it.

The class went on and I joined in the group activities. We were meant to reconstruct cell models using random trinkets that our teacher had put together. Nothing too special, but not boring in the slightest. If it wasn't for Hunter watching me the entire time, I may have been completely focused during the lesson. But he was, and it was intense.

After last night, my awareness of him had doubled. He wasn't concentrating on me any more than usual, but it was like I could feel it every time he thought of me. I knew that he was a few halls away and doing something completely different at the moment, but I was still in sight for him. That attention went on throughout the rest of my classes and I barely managed to tune it out. There were times when his gaze intensified and my every move was under close inspection. His sight wasn't limited to my clothes and there were moments where it felt like my body was being pressured more in places that he shouldn't be playing with. Needless to say, I became insanely self-aware and hot under the collar.

At the end of the day, I was feeling a bit desperate for payback. Hunter better not try running away this time. Viridian High was a sports dominated school. The building itself surrounded a large field in the middle as well as an indoor gymnasium and a contract with the neighboring gym to the right of the school. I knew that Hunter had stopped meeting with the track team recently, but I figured he might be there today.

Once I headed out onto the field, I spotted him instantly. It was hard to miss the tall blonde in a bright yellow and black tracksuit. He ran over to me as I sat down on the bleachers. "What do you want?" he asked bluntly. I was a little taken back because I thought we moved passed the hostile greetings. His silver pendant was dangling below his neck and I wondered why he didn't keep it under his clothes while running. "Because it won't fall off. It can't, so I don't need to worry about it."

"So you're still reading my thoughts?" I muttered.

"Obviously." This ass gets on my nerves. "Then hurry up and go home, Kent."

"That's not cool. If you're going to listen to everything I think, then at least have the decency not to respond." He shifted the weight from one foot to the other and continued to look at me like I was a fly. After feeling his presence the entire day, I thought he actually wanted to see me. "I figured we could hang out or something. I've still got a ton of questions, and all that. Maybe if you can keep your paws to yourself this time, we can have a decent conversation. So what do you say?" a range of emotions broke through his composure. I felt him get scared, angry, uncertain, hopeful, and a dozen other emotions before he settled back into annoyance. Damn that was impressive.

"I'll pass." That wasn't the answer I expected after last night. "O.K. I'll be honest with you. I regret last night a lot, and I don't want to let it happen again. If I led you on in any way then I'm sorry. You're not my type...or preferred gender honestly and I'd prefer to keep it simple. I'll chill with the hostility and everything, but I still want my space. I mean, it's not like we actually have anything in common right? You look like more of a computer expert than a sports enthusiast, so there's no reason for us to 'hang out'. Let's stick to our own circles ok?" someone shouted his name and he turned to look back at the field. It gave me a moment to hide my surprise...and disappointment. When he turned back I kept my expression neutral.

"Yeah, I hear you. Sounds fine by me. So I'll see you, when I see you. Later, Sin," I barely managed to get the words out. Hunter nodded and ran back into the track. I started walking home feeling like shit. It wasn't even something I was sure I wanted, but being shut down like that? There wasn't even a positive way to spin it. hunter shut me down...hard.

So, really quick, the new upload time will be 12:10 p.m. Est. i'll upload once a day five days a week. If for some reason i'm unable to upload on a day, i'll release an extra chapter during that week. let me know in the comments if that sounds alright with everyone :)

And So, How many of you were surprised that Hunter pulled that cruel routine with again? Especially after learning just how much he truly cares, he's still willing to lie and shut Jake down hard. If you liked this chapter don't forget to leave a vote so I'm motivated to keep going :)