Chapter 6

So, I played along

Chad helped me track down Hunter after my meeting with Miss Sin. He didn't even ask questions about it. When he saw me walk out of the room with messy hair and flushed cheeks, he looked at me like I was his idol.

As it turned out, the track team didn't have the field after school today. They were on some weird rotation system, so Hunter had already headed home. "Do you know where he lives," I asked Chad. It was a long shot, but I wouldn't be surprised if all the students in the school knew the whole town. Sure enough, the jock knew.

"Yeah, he's got his own place on Willow street. If he's not in their family shop, he'll be home by now." I was surprised. Not because Chad knew the address, but the other parts of his statement.

"He's got his own place already? So Miss Sin and his parents are somewhere else?" I was curious about the shop, but the living arrangements got my attention faster. We left the school together, and Chad led the way. It wasn't too dark outside despite the cold season sneaking up on us.

"Yep. From what I can tell, their family is really weird like that." Of course, they are. "If everything I've heard is true, the Sin family doesn't keep their kids at home after the age of twelve or something like that. As soon as they're old enough to use a stove, the parents push them out and give them a place to stay. Miss Sin lives right next to the school on the opposite side. Their little bro in middle school just got moved into a place in Astor street. Mom and dad Sin live above the blacksmith shop next to the bakery. Hunter's place is at the edge of the park by the slums." The park? That must have been the one that I started walking through on my night walks.

I suddenly had a flashback to Miss Sin telling me that I had gotten too close. She must have meant I'd entered Hunter's territory that night. Suddenly, it stopped feeling like a good idea to head back there. Not that it ever felt like a good idea in the first place. "That's weird, right? This isn't just a normal thing that happens in this town, right?" Chad shook his head and laughed. Then he paused and seemed to rethink it.

"Ok, well, not exactly. There are a couple families that do it. The Nixon, the Browns, and... the Thomson actually do it too, but not so early on. I actually never thought about it till now. It's not that rare after all." That told me a lot. If Hunter was a werewolf, then maybe it ran in the family. If there was an alpha wolf, then it made sense for there to be a pack. I'll have to remember those names for later. I might need them if I end up in a really bad situation with Hunter. "I know you're new to Viridian, but you don't seem new to the town honestly. I've seen tourists walk, and you aren't one of them. So what's the deal?"

We were getting into more familiar territory since I could see the woods nearby. "My family moved here a couple months ago. My mom is a fashion designer for some big company that wanted her to relocate here. So, we packed up and moved, but I didn't start school at first because we might have wanted to move back. I don't think any of us miss the old city anymore, though, it's nicer here." Chad nodded his understanding and pointed ahead. He was aiming at a concrete and wooden shed that was half concealed in the forest.

As the distance closed, I could make out clearer details. The place wasn't as small as it looked at first. It was a single floor that stretched out well into the woods. There were a couple of glassless windows in the concrete wall frame and a wooden door. Miss Sin was right, Hunter did see me coming.

As Chad and I approached the door, it opened, and Hunter Sin was on the other side. Wearing only a pair of torn blue jeans and black sandals. He held his hand out expectantly as he glared at Chad and me. "You can toss it to me from here; that's close enough." Was he talking to me like that? No, I'm the only one who gets to be an ass without explanation.

"Sorry Wolfe, I'm not a delivery boy. I came to talk." He scowled at me so harshly that I nearly regretted my challenge. "Your sis sent me to talk to you about stuff, so I'm coming in." Hunter raised an eyebrow in the exact same pattern as his sister. Apparently, they weren't used to being talked back to. Not gonna lie, it made me feel like a badass.

There was a long moment of silence where Hunter didn't respond. I could see the thoughts crashing through his head as he decided what to do. If Miss S was telling the truth, he couldn't just turn me away. "Alright, you've got ten minutes. You're not bringing your little boyfriend with you, though." My face twisted in annoyance. Chad looked like he was enjoying himself even now, but he raised his hands and started walking away without saying a word.

"I know better than to cross a Sin. See you when I see you, Jake." I was annoyed, but let it slide. I'd been hoping Chad would be my backup if Hunter got physical again. Last week had shown me how weak I was by comparison to the blonde athlete. Regardless of the stupidity, I walked into the werewolf's den. It might get me killed, but I might as well play along for now.

So, this was a pretty short chapter. Just giving a little more insight into the surrounding neighborhood as well as setting up for the next big scene. Brace yourself for a feels bad trip next chapter because things will be picking up a little more from here.