The Long Road Home

Sophia sat in her car and gazed at the gate to Stone Haven

Sophia sat in her car and gazed at the gate to Stone Haven. Her mother had told her to come here if anything should happen to her. She was hesitant at best. She had no idea what to expect and she wondered why her mother had insisted. She had not given her a reason why. She slowly pulled up the long drive and realized that like her family home, this one had been passed down through generations. She pulled to a stop and glanced around. The sight of the home almost brought pure terror to her and she was almost ready to to just turn around and go to that orphanage that the social worker had wanted to take her to. 

One thing that her home had not had was the large grove of trees surrounding it and the woods gave her a chill just looking at them. She could turn around and leave, but she was not fond of driving in the dark and she had not quite understood the sudden move to upstate New York. Her mother must have known that something was wrong for some time and when she had died over the weekend it had been devastating to her. 

At almost eighteen, she was fairly grown up. She had been raised with everything she could have wanted. She knew she was spoiled and was used to being able to do as she wished, but unlike a lot of girls her age with the same privileges, she had not abused them. She was obedient to her mother and she had been home schooled just so that her mother could spend more time with her. 

Sophia had a warm, bubbly personality that hid a shyness and innocence that kids her age had already lost. She gripped the steering wheel as she saw movement to her left. Wait! Was that a wolf. It was kind of big for a wolf. She watched the patch of bushes rustle and then a man come out of them. He was wearing nothing but a pair of boxers and it occurred to her that she was staring when the man turned to look at her and their eyes met briefly. 

The man grabbed the rest of his clothes and disappeared into the mansion. A few moments later she stood at the front door and raised her shaking hand to knock. Maybe they could tell her if there was a local hotel in town that she could sleep at and she would be on her way. She finally got up the courage and lightly rapped on the door. She fidgeted now as she glanced around nervously. It was getting dark and she had no idea what was out in those woods. The sound of a hoot owl in the distance made her stifle a whimper as the door was opened. 

A woman stood there. Not much older than herself actually. She couldn't be more the twenty six or twenty seven. She forced a shy smile and then looked down at her feet. 

"I am looking for a Jeremy Danvers. I have a letter for him. It is from my mother." 

Elena gazed at the young girl for a moment. Something about her seemed familiar, but she wasn't sure what it was. She opened the door a little wider when she realized the girl was nervous outside. 

"Come in. I will see if Jeremy is available to talk to you." 

Sophia stepped inside to see a huge foyer with a table in the middle of it. It looked old as the house. The room was warm even though the decorations seemed to be more for a bachelor pad than anything. She looked at the rug on the floor and realized it was vintage. It was a braided rug, made from old clothes and material. At least so she thought.