Training Begins

Elena had shaken her head when Sophie had asked about the prophecy. Either she didn't think that Sophie was ready to hear it or she knew nothing about it was the only thing that Sophie could think of for the reluctance to tell her.  When Sophie had finally calmed down Elena smiled at her. "Now, let get you settled in. We can put your clothes away and unpack your boxes. Once that is done we can get a list of the things we will need to buy."

As she helped her unpack Sophie could see Elena shaking her head a bit. Most of Sophie's clothes were dressy and unsuitable for training. "Looks like we need to buy you a couple of sports bras, t-shirts and shorts. These clothes are great for every day and stuff, but we will get you some clothes to train in. A mini skirt would definitely make the guys stare. Some tennis shoes and jogging shoes need to be bought as well.

She had pulled a small notepad out and made a note of a few things and set it on the dresser. When Elena had helped her hang up her dresses and slacks and put her pajamas and underclothing away, she put the suitcases up on the shelf in the walk-in closet. She then turned to the boxes. One contained pictures and her journal as well as a few books that she had been reading for homeschooling. She had all the classics in paperback and another box with hardback books of her very favorite.

It was in this box that Elena had pulled out the two books that Sophie had read on werewolves and their history. "Um...Sophie? Where did you get these? They are part of Jeremy's private collection in the basement. they disappeared four years ago and he was worried about someone coming across them that was human."

Sophie looked up as she set her mother's picture on the table by the bed. "Hmmm..." She walked over and looked at them and then up at Elena." I found them at an antique bookstore by my house. Well, it was a few miles away. But yeah...I didn't know they belonged to Jer....er dad." She was going to have to get used to that word. She had not grown up with a father and now she had one. Though at this moment he was leery of her and needed time to accept things. She picked up a few books and took them over to the bookshelf to put them on it when she stopped. On the shelf was a picture of a man. She had seen him before.

"Who is that?" Her voice was a bit shaky as she arranged the books and then paused to stare at the picture. He gave her the chills even now. Even though it was just a photograph of him.

"That is Malcolm Danvers. He is your....grandfather...." Elena had paused as she noticed the reaction that Sophie had as she gazed at the picture. "Sophie, what aren't you saying?" Elena set Jeremy's books on the bed and went over to Sophie, turning her to look at her. "Sophie?"

"I....he was outside my house in the city when I left. I saw him one other time. At the antique store that I picked up....she turned to the bed to look at the books and Elena's gaze followed hers."

"Oh, shit...." Elena had grabbed her hand and the books in the other and headed out the door, leading her downstairs to Jeremy's office that was moments before, forbidden. She knocked on the door and then spoke nervously. "Jeremy? We have a situation."

The door opened, but it wasn't Jeremy that opened it. It was Malcolm and his gaze went straight to Sophie and the books as he stepped aside and let them in. The look in his eyes was one of amusement and he looked toward Jeremy who sat at his desk with his head in his hands. "Look, son, my granddaughter is here."

Sophie inched behind Elena and gazed at the man. He had a cruel look in his eyes as he turned back to her face them. His hand reached out to touch her cheek and Elena swatted it away, letting him know that he was not going to touch Sophie. Elena inched around and led Sophie over to Jeremy's desk and placed the books on the desk. Jeremy looked up but said nothing about them.

"My father was just leaving. Right, Malcolm." It wasn't a question. Jeremy stood and escorted his father to the front door, but not before he made eye contact with Sophie. "I will see you again, kiddo. I promise." Malcolm's words seemed to irritate Jeremy even more and Jeremy grabbed him by the arm and led him out. The sound of footsteps, a door opening and then footsteps leaving echoed the halls and then the slamming and locking of the door followed.