Monster? (Part I)

Feeling the sun's warmth on her face, the brightness caused her to pull the covers over her head. The night had flown by quickly and the brief memory of yesterdays events played inside her mind, causing her to groan slightly. There was so much that seemed to overwhelm her at the moment and she was not sure what to expect out of the day.  Nevertheless, she was somewhat curious about how it might turn out.

It had been a month since she had initially woke up. She was a fast learner and was almost back to where she was academically when she lost her memory. Some things had remained with her, like the ability to read and figure out math problems. She was able to retain everything that she read almost like she had a photographic memory.

She still retained her magical powers and the power to shift, though she had to relearn the shifting process. Her wolf was not communicating with her much, though Sophie sensed that she knew something that she was not telling her.

One thing that she had not kept was her personality, which Malcolm regretted still. Though, for the most part, Sophie was shaping up to what he hoped she would.

Sophie had a sense of coldness about her. She seemed to feel nothing for others plights and for their feelings whatsoever. Her memory of her father and family did not exist anymore and she obeyed only Malcolm.

Her physical training was extremely intense and she was learning secrets that most did not know existed. Pressure points. Where to punch someone to knock them out or even worse, kill them. Something that she would revel in far too much.

Her grandfather doted on her constantly and she was being trained by the best witches he could find.

In short, Sophie was becoming a deadly killing machine.

Another month and Malcolm would have her ready to help him with his plans. Though, he had not revealed anything to anyone at this point. He wanted to wait until Sophie was ready and they could put the plan in motion.

Sophie slipped from under the covers and headed to shower and dress for the day.

Checking her high ponytail and making sure that she could move easily in the sweats and hoodie that she had chosen, she finished tying her combat boot.

Heading out the door she closed it behind her and then made her way down the long spiral staircase in the mansion of a packhouse and into the dining room. her grandfather was already there with her itinerary for the day and she was excited to see if it was what she had been hoping for.

She sat down beside him and he handed her the paper with her schedule for her to read while the servant brought her breakfast.

Instantly, her eyes lit up and she looked up at her grandfather.

"You think I am ready for this?"

He nodded at her with a devious smile on her face.

"There is one expectation. This fight will be to the death and the one with the upper hand will have to kill their opponent. If you succeed, you will take the place of my best fighter and be in training to be my right-hand man or woman in your case."

He paused for added effect and to let it sink in before he continued.

"You will be expected to use magic in your human form and have full control over your wolf when you shift. My best fighter has been trained in magical combat. Meaning, he knows how to dodge the magic aimed in his direction and not be hit by it. So you will need to be on your toes if you want to win this. For the record, I have complete faith in you and know what you are capable of, you will have to figure things out on your own."

Sophie nodded solemnly as she listened to what her grandfather had to say. She knew how serious this was and was intent on not letting her grandfather down. Despite the odds, she was not afraid.

Fear was not an emotion she remembered ever having experience with and so she knew that this was a do or die situation. She was sure that her grandfather's top warrior was also aware of what could happen.

It wasn't long until her breakfast was placed in front of her. She smiled at the Belgian waffles piled high with whipped cream and fresh cut strawberries. Her favorite breakfast food was next to the plate of bacon that was piled high.

Malcolm chuckled when he such the hungry look of delight that passed his granddaughter's features. She could barely contain her excitement.

Being a wolf, Sophie was happy that she had a great metabolism and was able to eat whatever and how much she wanted. Humans were not so lucky at times when it came to food. To be fair though, Sophie knew that she was lucky in that regard.

After inhaling the sugary goodness, she wiped her mouth and followed her grandfather out to the sparring field so she could warm up.

Already, most of the pack had gathered around to watch the event take place. Very rarely had they seen something of this nature.

She gazed around until her eyes landed on her opponent. A wolf more than four times her size. He towered over her height easily and she knew that this would be a tough fight. Just gazing at him she knew that he was almost 280 lbs of pure muscle.

Glancing at her grandfather, she gave him a nod and then walked toward the ring with determination and confidence.

Behind her, she could hear some of the pack members placing bets on who would win out on this fight.

She began to stretch when she was stopped. Apparently, she would not get to warm up before the match. She shrugged an pulled off her hoodie revealing the tank top underneath that she was wearing. She knew that she would need to be able to keep cool so that she could concentrate on the fight about to take place.

She tilted her head slightly and then held her hand out to her opponent to shake his hand instead of taking her hand to shake it, he grabbed her right off the ground and threw her. Her body slammed into the trunk of a large tree and she let out a groan of pain before she could stop herself.