Dripping Candles

Sophie stood outside of her father's office and sighed

Sophie stood outside of her father's office and sighed. She was not going to be able to leave the house for awhile according to the conversation going on in the office. The pack was in the office and she had still not been allowed in. She knew that they were trying to protect her. They had been training almost nonstop every day for the past few days and even though today was her birthday, no one had even mentioned it. 

There was a knock on the door and she peeked out the window. Standing on the porch was a young woman just older than Sophie was. The woman spotted her and called out. 

'Hello! My name is Page I am here at your father's request." 

Elena poked her head out of the office, to tell her that she was okay to answer the door and then disappeared. Sophie nodded and opened the door and let Page in. 

'Sorry that it took so long. I have been really busy with my little sister and working with her. Come on. Let's go into the kitchen and talk. I need to explain the basics to you before we start.'

Sophie led the way into the kitchen and they sat down at one end of the kitchen table. She noticed that Page was carrying a wooden box. Setting it on the table she looked up at Sophie and her mouth dropped. 

'Oh goddess, the power radiates off you. Girl! We need to set some ground rules. For right now do not use your magic unless I am here with you. I know right now you have no idea how to use it, but if you don't know how to control your emotions and have never used it before, you could blow up this whole city with that little pinkie of yours. Do you understand?'

Sophie's eyes widen as the woman speaks and she does not see her father or the rest of the group standing in the doorway listening, nor does she see the pointed look in the witch's eyes as she looks at Jeremy specifically. Jeremy had nodded letting Page know that he would make sure Sophie did not break the rule. 

'Why don't you four come in here for the first lesson. It is basically an introduction to let Sophia know who and what she is.  I will teach her some preventative tricks to keep her from using magic until she learns more about it. It isn't a toy. It is to be treated with utmost respect at all times.'

Once everyone was seated at the table, Jeremy beat Nick to sit by his daughter this time before the lesson began. Sophie was not worried about who sat with her as much as she was worried about what this woman had to say.  

Her whole world had changed overnight and she had been thrown into a world that she had no idea had even existed. Even now she felt herself resisting the urge to shift that was brought on by the added surprise of the woman's words. 

Once everyone was seated, she looked at Sophie. Her eyes showing that she was serious and not going to put up with any nonsense, making Sophie realize the concern of everyone in the room. 

"First and foremost you must be able to control your emotions. I know that is difficult because of your age. You are still young. The hardest part about this is that you should have been in training since you were twelve. What are you seventeen?"