Dangerous

The next few weeks were a blur of confusion, danger and uncertainty. Sophia had been shifting back and forth and shaking. She still had no memories, the shattered bits and pieces that she could not put together. Still, she was unpredictable and sometimes she would eat what was given to her on the tray and other times she would grab the tray and throw it at the cage door making a loud clattering sound and sending food flying everywhere.

Fear was written in her eyes and mistrust when anyone entered the basement to check on her or feed her. She was definitely still not all there.

Jeremy quit going to see her all together. It hurt to see her like this and what had become of her. There had been no improvement after the potion had been taken and he was worried that he was going to have to put Sophia down. It broke his heart to have to think like that. But, she was a danger to herself and the world around her.

Many times she had struck out at the pack members and they had to be careful when they came to check on her. She had become almost feral now and Elena had been bitten twice when she went into the cage.

Jeremy had decided to give it another couple of weeks. All too soon, sadly enough, it was the day that he would be putting her down. He felt his heart ache as he gazed around the room talking to the pack members. None of them wanted to see it happen and they had been pleading with Jeremy. Nick had to be restrained as he was going mad at the thought of losing Sophia anymore than he had by this time.

As the moment came for Jeremy to go down and take care of the situation Elena burst into tears. She had grown to love the girl and she couldn't bear the though of losing her. She gave one last ditch effort to get Jeremy to change his mind. "Please wait. Give her some more time. She is still a baby."

Jeremy had closed off his emotions at this point. If this was what had to be done, he would do it. His baby or not. She was suffering. He couldn't let that happen any longer. He wanted Sophia to stop hurting and he was the only one that could do it. He was her Alpha and her father.

He stood at the top of the stairs and gazed down into the basement. For once it was silent and there was no whining or any sound at all, well except for the rapid heartbeat and her breathing. To some extent the girl must know what was happening. He slowly descended the stairs after flipping on the light. As he reached the bottom stair and the cage came into view, he stopped.

Sophia was sitting on the cot with the blanket wrapped around her. Her tear stained cheeks were nothing new, but the fact that she was on the cot, was. Sophia had slept on the floor in both forms before and now she was sitting up but fast asleep. She was not touching the bars that were made of silver, nor did she seem anything but peaceful for once.

Jeremy had not heard the others come down behind him and he was surprised when Elena stopped short beside him and reached for the keys. He gazed at the girl. Her read hair was knotted and dirty. Her bedding on the floor had been shredded and beneath the blanket, he could see that she was skin and bones.

He knew that she was not wearing anything under the blanket and she must be cold without it. He knew she had not eaten for some time and was worried that she had no strength to fight  back. Sighing, he let Elena take the keys out of his hand and watched while she went to the cage to open it.

Everyone was on the ready to make a move if Sophia tried anything.

Instead, she jumped when she heard the key in the lock and looked up slowly, watching as Elena opened the cage with caution. The squeaking let Jeremy know that he would need to oil the door soon as Elena cautiously entered the confined area and slowly moved toward Sophia. She knew that the girl could shift in a heartbeat and attack like she had done before, Elena was praying that she didn't.