Things I Almost Remember

It had been almost a month since she'd been brought home. She'd shifted once she woke up, that first time and ended up in the cage in the basement.

She was angry and scared. Often growling and snapping at anyone that came near her.

Jeremy was torn, and had spent countless hours hunting for his father to kill him for what he'd done to his daughter. He was worried that he would never get her back emotionally. The wolf in his basement was wild and angry. His princess was no longer there in the hollow eyes of the wolf.

Nick had tried to reach her and ended up getting his hand bitten. He was devastated over the fact that he had found love and a mate. A mate that did not recognize him. Then lost it again. He was beginning to lose hope.

Elena and Clay had spent countless hours looking for the woman that had shown up that day to let them know where she was. But to no avail. She wouldn't be found until she was ready.

At times Sophia would almost act like herself. For brief moments at a time. Jeremy had seen it in her eyes. Almost recognizing him and Nick. But just as soon as it appeared the recognition vanished and she was back to snarling when they would come close.

Sophia herself was confused. She was slowly losing herself to her beast. Soon she would be more beast than human and Jeremy would have to put her down. A fact that he hated to think about.

The woman finally reappeared.

Once everyone was gathered in Jeremy's office she proceeded to tell them what had been done to Sophia. The potion that her grandfather had her make and give to her. The one thing that she had not been able to find an antidote for.

She had found a potion that might counteract it. Might. The side effects could be bad and end up killing her in the end by driving her mad. She could end up losing her human side and becoming solely a wolf. Or she could slowly regain her memory over time. That could be instantly or take the rest of her life to regain it.

When the woman was done explaining what she had to offer, she set the bottle on Jeremy's desk and walked out of the door and out of the house, not waiting for questions or staying to see if Sophia would recover. She didn't want to know the outcome.

Elena stared at the potion along with the rest of the pack

Elena stared at the potion along with the rest of the pack. Their eyes glued to the shiny liquid inside. She knew that they didn't have a choice. None that she could see. Not really. Just the same it was Jeremy's call. As alpha and leader of the pack and Sophie, being his daughter, he had the final say.

This didn't stop Elena from stepping up and giving Jeremy a little nudge.

"Jer.....what do you have to lose? She's not getting any better. She pulls away from us more each day. She's not eating now. Nor is she sleeping. That's not Sophie anymore. With this though, we have fighting chance to get her back. If it doesn't work we are no worse off than we were before. But what if it does work? You owe it to yourself and to Sophia to at least give it a try."

She paused then. Letting the words sink in as an eerie howl rose from the basement. She almost smiled when she heard it. As if Sophie herself were trying to get the words to sink in any faster for Jeremy.

Jeremy had glanced in the direction of the howl and the pained cried of his daughter. He definitely couldn't take much more of this. He father had made a killer out of his innocent daughter and destroyed the future for her. He grabbed the bottle roughly and stood up.

"Let's do this..."

His voice was husky and frustrated when he spoke. Jeremy was not prone to showing emotion in this way and he was more than trying to hide it, but he had fallen in love with his kid. He had always wanted a child of his own and he'd always assumed it would be a son. But this? A daughter that was born a wolf. He was proud of her. Proud that he had a hand in creating her. He had to fight for her. Fight to save her.

The group heading down the stairs to the basement where the cage sat in the middle of the room. They had to get the potion into her. It was going to take all of them to do this and to hold her down, which meant one of them had to shift and grab her by the scruff or the throat and make her submit. It wouldn't be easy as Sophie's hackles were already rising and a low growl began to escape her throat.

Nick shifted into his wolf form. As everyone took their positions, Elena opened the cage. Everything happened so fast that for a moment Elena was not sure if Sophia had received the potion.

Nick had her on her back with her head up submitting to him as his jaws were placed firmly at her throat. She had lifted her head in submission, more out of fear than anything else. Jeremy was just standing up with the empty bottle in his hand and Sophia lay there panting while Elena held her body and Clay held onto her hind legs.

Sophia went limp and closed her eyes.

The effects of the potion were taking some kind of effect and they carried her back into the cage and lay her on a clean blanket on the floor. Once she was settled, the door was locked once more and Sophia lay on the ground breathing heavily as she started to calm down.

Elena took the first shift to watch over Sophia. The sounds of whining came from the cage and Elena was beginning to feel guilty. Even though she knew that it was the only choice they'd had, an hour later she suddenly looked up and noticed that Sophia was back in human form looking like a petrified rabbit.

Elena stood slowly and whispered her name. "Sophie, it's okay. No one is going to hurt you."

Sophie stood and moved to the back of the cage when Elena came closer, her eyes wide with fear.

Sophie had changed back to human form, but she was still seeing Elena as a stranger that she couldn't remember. Though she looked familiar for some reason. She tilted her head as she tried to figure it out.

Bits and pieces of what seemed like memories seemed to flood her mind. A man in a vest with a blue shirt. A grey-haired man calling her sweetheart. The woman in front of her appeared in her mind as well saying welcome home. The voices started to kick in.

"You and Clay are in charge of training her."

"You can be my right-hand man, you won the fight. Now go to your room."

"Mine."

"How about you come and choose a bedroom."

She closed her eyes a moment. None of the voices sounded familiar to her, but at the same time, she sensed she had heard them before. She reached up and grabbed her head as she dropped to her knees, feeling her head start to throb. It was the worst pain that she could ever imagine and she felt herself begin to black out.