Canopies and Lace

Sophie smiled at how her room had turned out

Sophie smiled at how her room had turned out. She had been in Stone Haven a week now and she was finally getting used to a few of the pack members. She had not shifted a second time, mainly because she was not quite ready to. At this moment she was hugging Elena as she sat down on her bed. It was an antique canopy framed bed and Elena had ordered cream colored curtains and lace, along with matching curtains. 

The room was still a bit rustic in places, but then the mansion was old and she was fine with that. She and Elena had worked together on it and had not spent much at all even though Jeremy would have spent more if she had asked. Much like Elena's room she had not changed much in the room she had been given. 

She was just getting ready to go downstairs to help Elena make lunch and when she heard the pans in the kitchen start rattling, she darted down the stairs. Passing the open door to her dad office she could see that the guys were having a meeting. They had not closed the door as Elena needed to be able to hear what was going on. Jeremy had stopped trying to hide as much from Sophie as she seemed to be more mature than other girls her age. 

The fact that she was still a ticking time bomb around them made it so they were all keeping an eye on her and she knew that after lunch Elena was going to work her through shifting and going for a short run in the wood behind the house. What she wasn't aware of was that the guys were going to be guarding them the whole time. 

She entered the kitchen and saw that Elena was cutting vegetable to put into the soup that was starting to boil on the stove. On the table, she could see a bunch of loaves of French bread and a bread knife. Before Elena could tell her what to do, she began to slice the loaves of bread and set the slices into the basket that Elena had set out. She was getting used to the large portions that the pack members ate. Though she was just starting to eat this way, she still ate like a normal teenager. 

When the bread was sliced and covered over with the blue checkered cloth, she set it on the table and then she set the table with silverware and dishes. The kettle had been boiling with vegetables and it would be about ten more minutes before the meal was ready to eat. 

It was then that she had forgotten about mixing up the lemonade that Elena had taught her to make and she quickly went to the fridge to pull out the lemons and the ice out of the freezer. Elena had taught her the old-fashioned way and she was able to quickly cut the lemons in half and then squeeze them into the two large pitchers on the counter. It didn't take long and she had fresh lemonade to go along with the meal. She knew that the soup was hearty and the hungry men would be satisfied. 

Ten minutes later they were seated around the table with large bowls of soup in front of them and the guys were putting butter on their french bread and hungrily eating the soup. The meeting had continued as they ate and Sophie had remained quiet out of respect. 

"I know that the mutt has not been in town for that long. But it seems that he is causing quite a commotion. Elena, you will have to plan the run for tomorrow. You and Clay need to go to town to see if you can find anything out about the mutt. I will be going as well to talk to the sheriff so she doesn't come snooping out here. Nick, as much as I hate to ask this, will you keep an eye, not your paws, on Sophie."

Nick had been gazing at her again and Sophie hadn't been paying attention until her father had stated that. Nick had made it a point to sit by Sophie at every meal and she was not sure what to think of his actions. She went to grab another piece of bread and Nick quickly held the basket for her. "Thanks, Nick." 

Jeremy sighed. He had read up on the soul mate thing and he was not a happy camper. Female werewolves were rare, but in Elena and Sophie's case, they were highly sought after as mates. Elena and Clay were already mates. But he had not heard of any mate thing until he actually dug into the books in the basement. It said that if a female werewolf were to come into existence, there would be such a thing as a soul mate. They described it as love at first sight and the male being aggressively protective of the mate. 

The fact that Nick had no control over the fact that he was mated with Sophie, made it difficult to come to the decision that he did. Elena and Clay were the best at working together and even though Nick was needed to help locate the mutt. Jeremy had decided that he, Clay and Elena would be best for the job. Nick would not let anyone harm Sophie, but he knew that he could not keep Nick from Sophie forever. 

Nick had not touched Sophie yet, so she had not experienced the feeling of what a mate would make her feel like. She finished clearing off the table and washed the dishes after Jeremy, Clay, and Elena left. Nick had just sat there watching her, making her nervous. When she went to head up the stairs to her room he followed her. She tried to pretend that she didn't notice and turned on her laptop. 

She had one more exam to take and then she would graduate. Though she had been taking college courses on the side for two years now. She would be starting online college courses in the fall. Her mother had set her up with six years of college in her major. History. Her secondary was European languages. She knew that she had a huge trust fund and a mansion that was all hers when she turned twenty-one, but that was not for a few more years and she had other things to do until then.

She logged onto the sight and sighed as Nick pulled the antique wooden chair out of the corner to sit by her. She glanced over at him and he winked at her, giving her the wiggly eyebrows and she blushed and looked away. For an older man, he was kinda cute and she hated that. She needed to concentrate on the exam. 

Nick remained quiet as he watched her take the test. He knew that this was important to Sophie and after about an hour, she hit send and then turned off the laptop. Now it was just a waiting game while it was graded and she could receive her diploma in the mail and online. She closed the laptop and turned to find Nick within a few inches of her now. He was apparently sniffing her. 

"Um....what are you doing?" 

She raised an eyebrow and tilted her head. Even though she was shy, she was still able to talk to him, though her words were few. He didn't respond at first as he lifted a lock of her red hair up and gently rubbed it between his fingers. She bit her bottom lip.

"Mr. Sorrentino.....I....." 

It was then that he touched her cheek as he let the lock of hair go and her eyes widened. The tingle that it left behind when he leaned back made her reach up and touch her cheek. This wasn't happening. She had heard him use the word 'mine' more than a number of times the past week, always followed by Clay or Jeremy telling him 'no'. 

She had discussed the 'mate' thing with Elena and Elena had told her that she and Clay were mates, but the fact that the male wolves did not allow their women in their lives, because it was dangerous for them to know about werewolves, made it so that the 'mate' thing was not a necessity, so the males didn't get that urge. Somehow, though, with her presence changing that structure, Nick had been affected by it. 

Sophie stood slowly and went over to her window seat to look out into the woods. Settling in, she gazed out the window, trying to push the touch out of her mind. She liked it and that made her nervous. Never before had she even thought of boys, really. Now, she was thinking about Nick.