Chapter 4: Nightmares Become Reality

It's been a couple days Crutchy and he still won't talk to me."

"Don't worrys about it Mys. Jack can't stay mad at yous forever" he said reassuring me as we walk back to the lodging house from selling our papes.

"Is suppose yous right." Crutchy smiled at me as we continued walking. Once we made it to the house I raced to the boys' room to see if Jack was there. Unfortunately, he was. That meant I had to talk to him. Things have been really awkward between us since that night at Medda's. I have Race to thank for that, even though he didn't do it intentionally. Jack and I have had our fair share of arguments, but nothing this big and this public. All the newsies knew that I was a screw up now. How could I ever face them?, I contemplated as I slowly walked up to Jack who was reading a book.

"Hiya..." I said quietly. Jack looked up and then back down at his book - his expression not changing. "Jack come on. How long are yous going to hate me?"

"I don't hate yous" he corrected me not looking up from his book.

"Then why won't yous talk to me? It's not like Is purposefully got in a fight. It just happened."

"Exactly!" He sat up immediately, his attention now on me. "It just happens. Is can't protect yous when things just happen Mys. Do yous realize that if the newsies from Queens and Brooklyn found out yous were a goil, wes would be done for? Probably all the 'Hattan newsies for that matter." I stared at Jack blank faced. I honestly didn't know how to counter argue that.

"Yous need to be more cautious and thoughtful about what yous are doin' and sayin'. Do ya understand?" he questioned me. My head fell. It hadn't occurred to me - the severities of my actions.

"I'ms sorry Jack. Is didn't realize..."

"It's alright" he interrupted.

"Is promise to try harder" I said with a slight smile.

"Ha, good luck with thats" he laughed at me.

The next day came. We were back to our regular routine, Jack and I, of my sleeping in as late as possible and him yelling at me. Once I finally got up, dress and ready, and down stairs, we headed to get our papes. The headlines weren't great today, but as every newsie will tell you, 'Headlines don't sell papes, newsies sell papes.' I walked with Jack and Davey to my regular selling spot and began to shout out the headlines. Most of my papes sold by 8:45. I continued to shout to get my last few sold.

"I'll take one" I familiar voice said behind me. I whipped around to see someone I did not expect - Victor. Play it cool, I thought as I breathed in. I handed him a pape, trying my best to smile. He immediately flipped through the pape.

"Aha, good they put it in" he mumbled. I started to back away slowly, hoping he wouldn't notice my movements. "Heya newsie?" he shouted as he walked toward me. He shoved the pape in my face to reveille my own photo in the missing column. I gulped and looked up at him trying to keep my identity hidden.

"Have ya seen this girl around here?" he sneered.

"I..." keep it together. "Is can't say that Is have. Sorry." I said timidly.

"Hmmm" Victor grumbled as he started to walk away. I was about to run when he spun back around.

"Do I know you? Have I seen yous somewhere?" he squinted at me. I froze and shook my head.

"No, sir" I replied.

"Hmmm, yous look awfully familiar" he said as he turned back around and started to walk away. I started to back up as I watched Victor walk away. As I was backing up I tripped over a tin pale, which made quite a bit of noise. I fell back.