Chapter 18: The Truth Hurts

~ Next morning ~

Spot and I walked silently to get our papes. I haven't talked to him since yesterday morning, after what he said. I still can't believe he said that. After getting our papes, we got to selling. Spot, of course, finished before me.

"I'll take one sweet cheeks" an older man said, hand extended. I handed him a pape in exchange for money. I slipped the coin in my pocket and glanced back a Spot. He was leaned up against the corner of a store, admiring all the hustle and bustle of Brooklyn. I rolled my eyes and continued selling.

"U.S. helps put down Boxer Rebellion in China!" I yelled having a few more papes to sell.

"Here Miss.," a young business man called. I smiled slightly exchanging the pape. I turned around looking for my next customer. Instead, I came face to face with my worst fear.

"I found you," He said, dropping the bottle in his hand. Tears appearing to well up in his eyes. "I found you" He repeated taking a step towards me. As he did I took a step back.

"Victor" I whispered. I looked around me, trying to find a way to escape, but it was so crowded and there was no way I could easily escape. Even if I did, Victor would know I was somewhere in Brooklyn. He would never stop looking for me.

"Yous look good" he sniffled. It's clear he was in his emotional drunk state.

"Thank you" I mumbled, setting my papes down on the curb and wrapping my arms around myself.

"I've missed you" he said walking towards me. "I need yous."

"You...you hurt me."

"I know" he whinned

"Yous kept hurting me" I started to cry.

"I know. I... I didn't mean to." He did. "Please, please just come home." He reached out for me and I pulled away.

"Don't touch me."

"What's goin' on here?" Spot said stepping in between Victor and I. I just glared at Victor. "Mister, I think yous need to back off," Spot said sternly.

"Spot don't." I warned. After years of living with Victor I learned one thing... he was very delicate when drunk. His moods could shift in a split second - at one word or look. I learned how to cope and, in a sense, manage him when he was drunk. And trying to control or demand something of him was only asking for more trouble. Spot looked back at me and then towards Victor. An evil grin started to appear on Victor's face. He began to chuckle, slightly turning away.

"Mister" he slurred, mocking Spot. "You're the one who needs ta..." he pulled his arm back, striking Spot in the face as he finished, "back off. And the names Victor." I gasped. Spot held his jaw for a second, before he took a step towards Victor, fists ready. This was going to make things ten times worse.

"Don't! Stop!" I cried stepping in between the two of them before Spot could return a blow.

"Mys move!" Spot snapped, as he stepped towards Victor. I paced a hand on his chest, holding him back. Victor snickered trying to get in Spot's face, before I placed a hand on his chest too. I couldn't let the two of them kill each other.

"Mys?" Victor questioned, grinned looking down at me. "I like it. What don't yous move so I can teach this son of a ..." I could feel the two of them pushing on my hands. I turned towards Victor, doing the only thing I knew that would make him stop – giving him what he wanted. I put both my hands on Victor's chest, looking up at him.

"Take me home."

"What?" Victor and Spot said in unison, looking at me confused.

"Take me home. I want to go home" I said calmly, pushing Victor back and away from Spot.