Chapter 9: Trouble

Ace and I were nearly to the docks when it started misting. I shivered as the cool droplets hit my skin. Ace placed his arm around me, trying to keep me warm. We approached the lodging house door when a deep voice sounded.

"And where, pray tell, were the twos of yous?" My stomach sank as I recognized the voice as Spot. I looked up at Ace hoping he would cover for me. Then we both slowly turned around to face our impending doom. I stared at Spot and gulped. His eyes were harsh and mixed with tiredness.

"Hiya Spot. Hows it rollin'?" Ace said gleefully stepping forward trying to diffuse the tenseness.

"Ace" Spot said annoyed at the theatrics. Ace sighed and looked back at me with pity. I knew he wasn't going to cover me and I didn't blame him. He would get soaked.

"Wella Spot, yous see..." he started.

"It's my fault" I sounded and stepped forward. Ace and Spot glanced at me in surprise. "Is needed a break so Is went for a walk."

"Yous mean you ran away" Spot corrected me, glaring intently at me and crossing his arms. I looked at the ground and rocked on my heels.

"Yesh" I mumbled, still looking at the ground. I paused for a second before continuing. "Then Ace followed me. He brought me back" I said smiling slightly at him. Ace smiled back as Spot glared straight at me.

"Thank you Ace" Spot said coldly. "Yous may leave." Ace and I started to walk.

"Not yous, Mys" he growled. I looked up at Ace, who gave me another pitying look and continued towards the lodging house. I did not turn around to face Spot. I heard his pimp cane hit the dock with each step he took towards me. Then it was silent. Spot stood directly behind me, breathing on my neck. I shivered at each of his exhales as his warm breath hit my damp skin. Spot slowly began to walk tight circles around me. He glanced in at me as he began to speak. "I'ms pretty sure Is told ya yous weren't allowed to leave this dock without an escort and my permission." I did not speak. Instead, I looked at the ground to avoid Spot's torturous gaze. When I did not respond he continued on. "Did Is not make it clear to you that I'm in charge around heres?" He twirled his cane and paused directly in front of me. I glanced up at him. "Mys? Do yous have anything to say?" he snapped. I bounced up and down on the balls of my feet to calm my nerves and to stay warm.

"Is have my reasons" I responded quietly. Spot raised his eyebrows at me, clearly not impressed.

"That's it?" He paused and shook his head. "That's not good enough." Spot raise his cane and I closed my eyes, accepting my fate. There was no escaping this. He side swiped me with his cane, hitting my bruised rib cage from earlier today. I whimpered and fell to my knees as tears started to form in my eyes. "Hows many times do Is have to teach ya before yous get it in that pretty little head of yours? I'ms the king around here, which means yous will obey me." Spot continued to circle me as I grasped my torso and hung my head trying to hide my tears. "Or yous can get used to viewin' me from your knees after a beatin'. Do Is make myself clear princess?" Spot stopped circling, tilted his head and waited for an answer.

"Crystal" I replied as I pushed myself up off the ground. I glared at Spot trying to show him that I was tough, but deep down I was terrified. I was sore, scared and broken. Spot raised an eyebrow at me and crossed his arms. It was clear he didn't believe me. He turned around abruptly and headed towards the lodging house to return to bed. I trailed behind him at a distance.

When I finally reached my room I grabbed a towel from the bathroom and wrapped my drenched, stringy hair in it. I removed my damp clothes and left them in a heap on the floor as I ambled over to my dresser for a clean night shirt. I removed the towel from my head and quickly dried my body before slipping my night shirt on. I looked down to begin buttoning up the shirt when the bruise on my rib cage, intertwined with the scars from Victor caught my eye. Slowly, I moved my hand over the bruise, twitching as a slight pain pulsed through my torso. I bit my lip and continued buttoning my shirt. I headed towards my bed and towel dried my hair in the process. Before slipping under the sheets I placed the towel at the foot of my bed. I looked up and noticed Spot standing at the doorway of the bathroom. He propped himself up against the door frame and glared at me strangely. Great, what now? I paused and looked back at him. My eyes traveled down his bare chest and then back up to his gaze.