Chapter 14: Gettin' Hurt

I flung open the door to the lodging house. I was frustrated with Spot and his comments. How would he know about me getting hurt? Why would he care? God, he just thinks he knows everything! I thought. As I walked through the house I bumped into Ace, Bird and Shot who appeared to be getting ready to leave.

"Bye Mys" they all said in sync.

"Bye" I mumbled as they passed by me, heading towards the door. "wait..." I said as I turned around to face them. "Where are you guys going?"

"The Bull's Pen" Shot said smirking.

"Can... can I tag along?" I said shyly, hoping they would say yes. I literally have nothing to do and I did not want to be stuck here with Spot. The three of them looked at each other smirking before they burst out laughing. Ace stepped forward, licking his lips.

"The Bull's Pen isn't really a place for you." He shoved his hands in his pockets.

"Whats that supposed to mean?"

"Plus, yous would need Spot's permission to leave" He said ignoring my question

"But I'd be with you guys, so do I really need his permission?"

"Yes" Ace chuckled.

"Ugh" I responded rolling my eyes. "But..."

"See you later Mys" Ace interrupted, bending down and kissing me on the cheek.

"Bye" I huffed smiling slightly. I watched them leave before plopping down on the couch. Staring up at the ceiling, I noticed a head pop up from under the large coffee table.

"Yous wanna play go fish?" a little boy, now older than 6 said. I sighed and returned to staring at the ceiling. "Please?" he continued to beg.

"Ah, what the hell" I mumbled looking back at the boy who grinned at me. I heaved myself off the couch and sat on the floor across from him. He dealt out the cards and we began to play. After a few rounds, more young boys joined in. I removed myself from the game and laid on the couch watching them, until I drifted off to asleep.

-Later that night-

I felt a hand rest on my shoulder and I jolted awake.

"Easy there" Sunny said smiling.

"Ha, sorry" I replied sitting up and wiping the sleep from my eyes.

"Yous slept through dinner. I saved ya a sandwich though." He pulled out a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on a robin egg blue dish, from behind his back as he sat down next to me.

"Aww, thank you Sunny! Yous the best!" I bit into the sandwich before picking Sunny's brain for answers. Mouth still full, "heya, what's The Bull's Pen?"

"Why yous want to know?"

"Because Ace, Shot and Bird went there. I wanted ta tag along, but they said it wasn't a place for me"

"And they're right" Sunny snapped.

"Ok what does that even mean? Why isn't it a place for me?"

"Its just not a place for you." I huffed and returned to my sandwich. Why was he giving me such a hard time? I thought. I glanced around the room and met Spot's gaze. His stare was so intense it gave me goose bumps. I looked down at my empty plate, avoiding his gaze, before I looked back up at him. Licking his lips, he leaned back in his chair and returned to the poker game he was playing with a few of his newsies. By the stack of coins next to him, it looked like he was winning.

"Where's the kitchen?" I asked lifting my plate slightly.

"Oh, I'll get it" Sunny said grabbing the plate from me and smiling. I was about to get up and follow him, when suddenly Shot and Bird crashed through the lodging house door. It was clear that they had been drinking. I stopped to watch them as the hung onto each other and stumbled toward the poker table. Spot smirked at them as they managed to slouch down into two empty chairs.