Chapter 5 - Going too fast?

We arrived back at the prison. I woke up as Daryl drove through the gates. And Carl was waiting on me.

Daryl stopped the bike and I hopped off. Walking over to Rick as I handed him the gun back. He took it willingly and I walked back into the prison without saying a word to anyone.

 I was completely upset about Zach and I felt like I had to be the one to tell Beth. So I headed to her cell and met up with Daryl on the way. "Hey where are you going?" I asked him as he walked beside me. "To tell Beth the news." he said looking down at me. "No, let me." I said grabbing his arm to stop him. "Please?" I looked at him, my eyes begging him. "Fine." he said turning away and leaving.

I made it to Beth's cell. She had a book out that she was writing in, I suppose it was her diary, because she closed it as I walked up. "Hey" she said putting the book away. "Hi." I gave her a weak smile.  "May I?" I asked her to sit on her bed. "Sure" she replied scooting over. I sat down next to her and looked her in the eyes. "Look, Zach.. he." I stopped as she looked down. "He dead?" she asked looking back up to me. I nodded my head waiting for her reply. She showed hardly any emotion. "If your like me.. and your numb to the pain of loosing members, then I guess I don't have to tell you I'm sorry." I looked at her. She nodded. "No you don't." I shook my head and stood up about to leave. "We should hang out more often." she said causing me to stop. "Yeah, we should." I smiled to her and left.

I could use a friend who understands me.

***********

Of course, Carl would be waiting on me at my cell. I stopped when I saw him sitting on a chair in the corner of my cell. I turned and kept on walking. "What did I do?" he called after me. I didn't say anything as I kept on walking till I reached the fields.

I sat down near one of the fields and put my head on my knees as I curled into a ball. Carl sat beside me, but he kept his space.

"At one point I thought that this prison was going to be a change for me." I said looking up at the sky. The sun was setting and the stars just coming out. It was peaceful. "What happened? To you? I mean what do you mean?" Carl asked me confused. I looked over at him. His blue eyes starring back at my brown ones. "I thought that I could forget the image of seeing someone dying. I thought I could forget my past here. I was the only one that looked back at Zach. And before that I thought I saw...Nevermind" I told him standing up. "No tell me. What happened at the store?" he asked walking up beside me and grabbing my arm. "I don't want to talk about it okay?" I told him jerking my arm away from his grip. He stopped in his tracks. But I kept on walking.

He was going to have to wait.

*****************

I woke up the next morning. All the events of yesterday came rushing back. It scared me, how you could be gone so fast. Swept off the face of the earth without a trace.

I got up, noticing Carol had already gotten up too. I put on a pair of converses, threw on a pair of shorts and an Aeropostale shirt, then went on my way.

I walked out of the prison noticing Carl and Rick in the fields. I went over to the barrel of water at the corner and rinsed my hands and wet my face.

I walked up and stood on the pathway leading up to the prison. Watching Carl, every move he made. Then he noticed me. I sighed remembering how I treated him last night and turned leaving. I pushed him away last night. "What did you do Emeli?" I asked myself. "You screwed it up!" I cursed to myself.

"So now you talk to yourself?" I turned to see Carl behind me. "Well, I guess it's cause I messed up. I lost my best friend." I told him rubbing my arm, a nervous habit of mine. "I think you were just stressed." he said walking closer to me. "I was just upset. I didn't mean to brush you away last night." I said to him. "Well I heard." I looked at him strange. "About?" I asked him confused. "The incident at the store. You thought you saw your dog. Why didn't you tell? You could have died, did that not occur to you?" I stood staring in his eyes. His was mad I hadn't told him, but who did? "I can take care of myself." I said turning around, wrapping my arms around my arms. "That's what they all say." he whispered in my ears, sending a tingle down my spine. Goosebumps appearing on my arms as I squeezed them closer to my chest. He wrapped his arms around mine. "I've been waiting on you my whole life and I cant believe I'm telling you this." he said embarrassed. I turned to face him, and smiled kissing him.

After we pulled away I could feel the heat in my cheeks. "You care for me don't you?" He shook his head, his hands still on my waist from the kiss. "Why?" I asked him. No boy had ever told me anything like this before. Maybe me and Carl were moving to fast, but then again maybe we weren't. "I've never felt this way about a girl before, to tell you the truth. Your different, and that's what I need." he blushed red scratching the back of his neck. I jumped and hugged him. "So I didn't loose you?" I asked him as we pulled away. "No, you never will." he said smiling. I returned the smile.

Carol and Beth walked up. Beth had Judith and she was crying. Our attention quickly falling to the baby. Carl walked up and grabbed her. Bouncing her up and down in his arms as she laughed. I giggled watching a side of Carl I didn't know there was. 'He would be a great Dad. What, why am I even thinking this!?' I went and joined the fun.

I was right at Home.