Chapter 17 - Memories

I was walking through the living room of the house we were currently clearing. Carl took the upstairs which was perfectly fine with me. His attitude right now was not what I needed to deal with. I was already stressed enough over whether Rick was still alive and if the rest of our group was even alive too.

The pains in my leg weren't helping at all. I took a seat at the small table that was set in the dining room.

I unhooked my metal foot and set it on the table. I hated it when I could still feel my foot. I traced the scars along my leg. Wishing there was a foot attached there still. Memories of Hershel all starting to rush back.

We were sitting on my cell bed. He was giving me some advice and precautions about losing my foot.

"There will be times when the pain feels unbearble. And then there are the times when you can still fill it there. Like now, I'm wiggling my toes!" he held his leg in the air, a small smile on his face. His eyes watched me giggle and hold my leg next to his. Looking up to the old, white haired man I Adorned so much.

I was snapped back to reality by the faint moans of a Walker above. The sounds of a struggle happening upstairs and Carls grunts.

I jumped up from my spot at the table, forgetting my piece wasn't attached. Sending me flying to the floor with a thud. I lifted myself up on the chair and snatched up my foot. Snapping it back on and adjusting it on my foot. Finally able to go help Carl.

I ran upstairs holding the railing to keep me balanced. In the process managing to get my gun from its holster and cock it. As soon as I made it to the top, Carl slammed a bedroom door shut and slid down the it.

His head hung low but soon it lifted so his eyes could make contact with my own. He was out of breath, clearly exhausted from his fight.

"Where were you?" he asked a little annoyed.

"I was downstairs. My leg was hurting." I told him putting my gun back.

"Whatever" he mumbled getting up on his feet. Grabbing a piece of chalk as he did so. He turned to the door which apparently contained the walker that tried to eat him. It was scratching and banging on the door.

I watched him write something on the door and throw the chalk back down. He turned and left, passing by me, and I could see the smile leave his face. I read what he was so proud of.

Walker inside, got my shoe, didn't get me.

I smirked and followed his descent down the stairs.

***

We were rummaging through cabinets and shelves. Gathering what supplies and food we could. I just so happened to look up and notice something. I looked around and found a bench which I pushed up against the counter. Making steps to help me up. Carl turned his attention to me as I stood on the counter. Hands stretching forward to the giant can sitting on the cabinet top like a prize.

Finally grabbing hold of it, I looked down at Carl and noticed his arms mimicking mine. They reached up for me. I handed him the can which he took and sat on the counter but his arms came out again. I looked at him confused but then realized what he was waiting on.

He wanted me to jump. I sent him an unsure look but did as he wanted. Falling to the hardwood floor below, his arms caught me. Yet again we stood nose to nose. I mumbled a thanks to him and he nodded his head a little finally releasing me.

The truth was I missed his touch. My skin burned when he didn't touch me. My lips hurt when his lips didn't meet mine. It made life harder living away from him. And I was starting to think that he didn't love me anymore.

"So, you wanna eat this?" he asked holding the giant can of pudding up in one hand. I smiled to him, "Sure. Why not."

He grabbed a spoon out of a drawer  then walked back up the stairs. We went into a bedroom and I opened the window and crawled out along with him. Taking a spot beside him and retrieving the can opener from inside the reusable bag we brought.

I handed it to him and watched him open it, smiling as he did so.

A/N: Yes, Im leaving you on a cliff hanger. I decided the next chapter would be 'cute' if I started it with a pudding scene. I've had this written for awhile and Im just now posting it. But ENJOY! Bye Babes! xo