Chapter 20 - "I swear, your so hard headed."

A/N: This is the 20th anniversary of 'What Now?' Thank you so much for all your votes and comments. Its been a wonderful time coming and know the journey ahead is just as great. So enjoy the chapter! Keri xoxo <3

"Follow her lead." Rick said handing his gun over to Carl, giving looks to both of us. I nodded to him checking to make sure my knife was in it's holder.

"Hey, you okay?" Rick asked Carl concerned. He nodded his head, "Yeah, just hungry."

Heck, we all were hungry. Stomachs always growling for food. But this was how life was now. No one could get use to being starved all the time. It was hard.

"Be careful." he told us as we headed on to clearing houses. "We will!" I waved back to him.

I carried a bag and so did Carl. Hopefully we would find some useful supplies and food. I hoped to find new clothes and a new pair of shoes. My blue converses are worn out and a new pair would really help.

"Let's try this one, yeah?" Michonne asked us and I nodded to her but Carl kept his head low.

"What's wrong?" I asked him as we walked up the steps.

"Nothing" he mumbled taking his gun out. I sighed in defeat retrieving my knife.

***

We had cleared most of the house. Michonne was searching the kitchen while I dug through a girls room. Carl stood at the door watching my throw shoes from the closet.  None of them fit my size as I turned around, jumping as I noticed Carl at the door.

"Jeez, you scared the shit out of me!" I grabbed my chest trying to catch my breath.  "Sorry" he whispered walking into the room.

He held out his hand to help me up which I took gratefully.

"Thanks" He gave me a small nod as if he was still upset.  "Are you gonna tell me what's wrong?" I asked playing with his jean jacket.

"I told you I'm fine." he said annoyed that I was pushing him.

"No your not! If you were you wouldn't be acting like this!" I whispered yelled at him.

He pushed me off of him and turned to leave the room but I grabbed his shoulder and pushed him against the wall.

"Tell me Grimes." I looked at him pissed. I was tired of our arguing. I hated it!

"Is it bad to miss her? Judith was my responsibility. Is it bad to miss what we had at the prison?"

I looked down at his shoes and my shoe and metal foot.

"No. It's not. But blaming yourself for what happened isn't gonna change anything."  I let go of my hands on his chest. Picking my things up and leaving the room. He needed space and I did too.

***

We were walking to another house to clear when Michonne asked if we wanted any Crazy Cheese.

"Not thanks." I told her and she offered it over to Carl who just shook his head.

We were both separated by Michonne so we could keep some distance. I wanted more than anything to run over and kiss all his problems better but it doesn't work that way with Carl.

My day got even worse when I felt like a train just struck my chest. Or an elephant had sat on it. My walking slowed down but I kept up with Michonne and Carl. My breathing got worse but I didn't say anything as I hoped it was just pass.

They went ahead clearing the house and I bearly could make it in the front door. Collapsing right time I stepped in the house.

The wheezes from my lungs sounded like the walkers. Every breath got harder to breathe and I started to lose consciousness. Not realizing that a walker had heard me and was walking up the stairs.

I watched as everything became slow. As if the word was in slow motion. It felt as if a bomb was exploding in my head. I couldnt even move or even scream as I watched the walker fall to its knee's to finish me off.

I could feel a warm tear slid down from my eye. Thinking that the face of this walker was the last thing I would see. I let my eyes close in defeat. This was it.

The loud bang of a gun went off and something feel on me which smelt like a walker. My eyes cracked opened and I saw Carl roll the now dead walker off of me.

He grabbed me in his arms, picking me up bridal style and taking me to the couch in the living room.

His voice echoing as he talked to Michonne.

"What's wrong with her?!" he yelled in frustration.

"I don't know but she's purple." she told him.

I built up all the strength I had left in me, "As-thma." I pronounced each syllable.

"Asthma!" Carl yelled jumping up and running somewhere. All I could do was lay there staring at Michonne. My whole body was stiff. Finally, Carl came running back up with something in his hand. When he squatted back down next to the couch, I could see it was an inhaler.

He put it up to my mouth and fiddled with it until he understood how to use it. Pushing down the pump, medicine finally rushing into my lungs and opening up my airways.

It was a relief to finally be able to breath.

****

I could finally talk to Carl who was worried sick over me.

"Are you sure you okay?" he asked for the fifth time in the last two minutes.

"Yes, yes, I'm fine." I tried to reassure him that I was okay.

"Well your gonna need some rest." Michonne told me as she stood at the doorway.

"No. I don't need rest. I'm ready to go." I told them getting up from my seat. Only to be pulled back down by Carl.

"You need to rest." I rolled my eyes at him.

"And you need to calm your tits sherlock." I got up from the couch again. Michonne sighed, "Fine, suit yourself, let's go." she said adjusting her katana and walking to the door with a supply bag in hand.

"I swear, your so hard headed." Carl glared at me as he adjusted his sheriff's hat on his head.

"Yeah I had a good teacher." I sarcastically told him as I fixed my beanie on my head.

I guess I pushed him to far this time. And I regret this, A LOT!

"I hate when you do this! I care so much about you but when your finally better; you treat me like shit!" he yelled at me.

Michonne appeared at the doorway and watched us.

"I'm sorry! I'm just so freaking tired of you being so worried! I know you care! But your the one that always ruins the mood." I wasn't as dramatic as he was.

"Yeah well your not the one with the weight of the world on your shoulders. Your not the one that has a baby sister dead before she could even live. YOUR NOT THE ONE WHO HAD TO KILL YOUR OWN MOTHER!" He turned on his heel and walked past Michonne and out of the house, leaving me standing there speechless.

He was right. But then again, I had alot on my shoulders too.

Pic of Emeli in this chapter on side ----------->>>>