Part Sixteen - We were nowhere near the grand canyon

The group was now walking into the wreckage, weapons and firearms raised. Bernadette was walking straight towards the alien that crawled on the ground.

"Because that thing doesn't blow!" Vasquez said. 

"Is it alive?" Seven asked as Bernadette squatted by it. 

"Can't tell," Warren said and she too squatted by it. 

"Help him," Bernadette pleaded. "Please help him." she rolled the alien onto its side and rested its head on her lap. "Oh God." Warren went to remove the gas mask on its face, Bernadette's eyes widened, "What if it can't breathe our air?"

"Uh. Then I guess he came to the wrong planet?" she then unclipped the mask. The alien began to have a fit. Warren leant back and lifted both her hands. The alien stopped moving. Seven took a couple steps forward to see a large chunk of glass sticking up out of its chest. Warren then took its mask off. Seven frowned when she saw a human man's face. She had seen him before, at the tavern. 

"Dan Skully?" Bernadette gasped.

"That nut job from Pluto?" Murphy said in disbelief.

"I don't understand mister Skully," Bernadette rubbed his arm tenderly. "Why are you acting like one of the aliens?"

"I'm sorry Bernadette." he choked out. "There are no aliens." Bernadette looked confused and disappointed. "I'm sorry I lied to you." he began to breath heavily. "I was going to tell you the truth. Once you got on board."

"You mean there are no aliens? Only you?"

Seven backed up until she stood beside Ten K, he looked disappointed. Seven lightly nudged his side, "Looks like your uncle's theory was wrong." she whispered with a smirk. Ten K shook his head,

"We may not have found aliens today but they still exist." he was sure. Seven smiled and shook her head.

"How are you still alive?" Seven heard Warren ask Dan.

"I've only been here a few months. Everyone was- Dead or turned when I, got here." he drawled out. "My- My job.. was to.. salvage any technology that they were testing here." Seven looked from the man to the others. She still held the gun, but it was switched off. She glanced at Ten K again,

"Hey, think I can keep this?"

"If it doesn't run out of battery or ammo, I don't see why not." he shrugged. 

"It's beautiful there," Dan panted.

"How did they know about me?" Murphy asked.

"The drone picked you up.. in Colorado." 

"The drone in Colorado?"

Warren stood up. Ten K took a step forward. "This is alien technology, isn't it?"

"Oh, who knows... That's all above my pay grade." he was struggling to breathe now. "Oh wow. I'm not going to make it, am I?"

"Why didn't you just tell me?" Bernadette forced a smile for him.

"Because..." he cleared his throat and sucked in a shallow breath. "I w-was.. afraid.. you wouldn't go without the others." he whispered. He jolted then let out his final breath.

"Dan." Bernadette held him tighter. Warren placed her hands on Bernadette's shoulders,

"Come on," she quietly said. "Let's give him mercy. Come on." Bernadette got to her feet and Warren pointed her hand gun at Dan's head, taking the safety trigger off. Bernadette stopped her, and whispered a couple words. Warren nodded and gave her the gun.