Chapter 10

"The Chugoko, Shikoku, and Kyushu Figure skating Championship's men's singles free skate is about to begin," Morooka reported. "All eyes are on skater Katsuki Yūri and his coach and manager, Viktor Nikiforov and Kim Y/n."

"Hi." Y/n and Viktor waved.

"Katsuki ended yesterday's short program in first place by a large margin scoring a personal best of 94.36. In his free skate, he will attempt three quads." Yūri laced up his skates.

'Y/n, Viktor, and I decided to lower the difficulty and only do one quad, but...'

"I'm gonna try a quad too!" Minami told the other skaters.

"Seriously! You've never landed one in practice."

"I'll try one too!"

"Okay, I'll try too."

Y/n slapped the back of his head, hard. She sat down next to Yūri. "Stop worrying about them. I mean, the most you got is six years on them. You'll be fine." Yūri just nodded. Y/n frowned slightly rubbing her knee.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we'll now begin the senior men's singles free skate event," the announcer said over the intercom. "Will the competitors please take the ice for your warm-up? You have six minutes."

Yūri handed Viktor his blade covers. Y/n held the stuffed Makkachin tissue box. They looked over at Minami who wore a sparkly red, gold, white, and black costume. The younger boy had a look of determination. Yūri looked away breaking Minami's heart and he deflated sadly. Y/n went to punch Yūri, but Viktor grabbed her fist shaking his head.

Viktor started to think while Y/n went to hug Minami. "It's okay. Good luck out there. You'll do great."

"Thanks Miss-"

"Y/n but no Miss. Makes me sound older than I already am. Call me chan."

"Okay Y/n-neechan," Minami cheered. Hearts filled Y/n's eyes.

"Awe!" Viktor grabbed her by her shirt dragging her back. "No! I wanna hug the chicken nugget."

"He needs to warm up like the rest of the skaters." Y/n nodded sadly. They went back to watching Yūri.

"Where's my notebook?" Y/n asked. Viktor handed her the pink journal out of her bag. "Thanks." She flipped to a new page and titled it Yūri's Free Skate. First thing she wrote, 'asshole to little chicken nugget.'

Yūri completely ignored his surroundings as he warmed up. 'No, no. I have to focus on myself!' He skated back to where his coach and manager were. Viktor was leaning on the barrier and Y/n was sitting on it.

"Yūri...how can someone who can't motivate others motivate himself?" Viktor asked. He slammed Yūri's blade covers on the barrier. "I'm disappointed in you." Viktor grabbed Y/n's hand and pulled her with him as he walked away. Y/n stumbled a little but kept pace. She looked back at Yūri and gave him a frown.

Yūri stood there stunned for a moment before he began shaking in fear. 'What about my own motivation that he just destroyed? It's bad enough he broke it, but taking Y/n too!'

"Representing Hakata Skate Club, please welcome Minami Kenjiro-san." The audience clapped. Minami stood stiff.

"Hey, are you listening to me?" Kanako asked waving her hand in front of Minami. "You're nervous, aren't you, Minami-kun?"

"Good luck, Minami-kun!" Someone shouted. Yūri watched about to leave.

'You don't have a dark past!' Minami had said. 'Don't make fun of me for looking up to you for so long and trying to catch up to you!'