Chapter 16

I stood in the airport waiting for my bags as I thought. 6 months had flown and it was now nearing Christmas. When I had first gotten back to Florida after being on tour I scrounged for money to get my own place. I sold all the jewelry my father had ever bought me to pay for an apartment, went back to work at the music store and got another job to pay for everything. When the end of the summer came I had saved enough to quit my second job and I started college again. I kept in touch with all the guys and Jack occasionally visited me whenever he could. Sometimes I would drive down and see Travis or Travis would drive up to see me. I loved being able to talk to them and see where they were or what they were doing. Alex though, we hadn't talked since I had left.

It had been difficult at first, missing Alex but now I was used to the nagging empty feeling. The only thing that kept me from running back to him was the reminder that he had chosen this for a reason and if he really wanted me he would tell me so. I was currently on Christmas break for a month and I had come to spend it in Baltimore after Jack had absolutely begged me for months. So here I was, lugging my bags through Baltimore's airport looking for the tall black haired man that was supposed to be picking me up. He spotted me before I spotted him and I turned quickly at the sound of my name. Jack Barakat was walking quickly through the crowd towards me and I broke into a smile. I hadn't seen him since his fall tour had stopped in Florida and he had showed up at my apartment and begged me to go to the show. I had refused, saying I had to study for finals when in reality I just couldn't bear to see Alex.

"Leah!" Jack shouted wrapping his arms around my waist. "Jack! I missed you." I said hugging him tightly. Jack stepped back after a moment and fixed his red hat that was falling off of his head. "Is that all you have on? Are you crazy? It's December in Baltimore." he scolded as he took my bags and began walking through the airport. I followed beside him and looked down at my outfit. Dark blue jeans that were tucked into Uggs, a long sleeved Hollister shirt and a Hollister hoodie over it. "This won't be fine?" I asked as we neared the doors. Then I saw why he thought I was crazy, there was a thick layer of snow on the ground and it was still coming down with no sign of slowing. "Uh, I definitely don't miss this." I said pulling up my hood. "It's pretty." Jack tried to convince me as we half walked half jogged to his car. "Pretty? You know what's pretty? Clear water and white sand." I said and Jack shook his head. "You've been away for too long." he insisted and I laughed as I pulled on my seatbelt.

Surprisingly Jack got me to his house in one piece. We quickly got all of my stuff inside and I took in the sweet smell of cookies baking. "I can't believe you still live with your mom." I teased as I shrugged off the wet shoes and sweatshirt. "I can't believe you thought a hoodie would keep you warm." Jack said shaking his head and then he took my hand. He led me into the kitchen and came up behind the woman cooking. "Mommy, I'm home." Jack said in a baby voice and I giggled. Joyce Barakat, who was like my own mother growing up turned and I noticed she hadn't changed much. "Leah!" she exclaimed and pushed past Jack who looked shocked to get to me. "Why that was just downright rude!" Jack said in a girlish voice and I laughed as his mother wrapped his arms around me.

"It's been so long!" she exclaimed and I nodded, tears coming to my eyes. I hadn't realized how much I actually missed home, because that's what this was. Baltimore was more home to me than Florida could ever be. Once we broke apart I wiped at my tears and I looked around for Jack who was being unusually quiet. Jack was over in the corner, his mouth full of cookie and he was reaching for another one. "Jack Bassam, stay away from those cookies." Mrs. Barakat scolded as she smacked his hands away. "Why don't you two bundle up and go for a walk?" she suggested and I remember her suggesting the same thing when we were 12 years old. Jack and I had been under her feet all day while she got everything ready for Christmas and then finally she had bundled us up and pushed us outside. We had played in the snow until Mrs. Barakat had to send Joe, Jack's older brother to retrieve us from the snow fort we had built.