Chapter 18

After I was dressed I pulled on the brand new dark green pea coat Jack had gotten me. Jack had written me a note along with it,

Dear Leah,

I hope you like this coat; you'll be needing it for the cold Baltimore winter next year.

Love,

Jack.

I had laughed at it before telling him that I was thinking about moving here and I wasn't going to make any promises. Once I was completely finished I walked down the stairs and Alex who was sitting on the floor with Jack quickly jumped up at the sight of me. "You look gorgeous." he said coming close and taking my hand. I giggled nervously, pulled my hand from him gently and walked over to Jack. "I'll be back later, thank you for the presents." I said before pecking him on the head. I then said bye and merry Christmas to everyone before slipping out of the house behind Alex.

I felt really bad that I hadn't gotten Alex anything but I didn't expect seeing him. I climbed into his car and looked over at him while we waited for the car to warm up a bit. "I like this style better than the old one." Alex remarked while looking over at me and I raised a questioning eyebrow. "Well when we were in high school you were into baggy skinny jeans and oversized shirts, now you could pass for a Hollister model, Kara would be proud." he teased and I looked down at my clothes. I was wearing light wash Hollister jeans, under my coat I had on a light blue Abercrombie and Fitch pullover and under that a blue long sleeved shirt that said Hollister up the arm. I had kind of changed but I liked the way I dressed now, it was cute.

"You don't dress like a girl anymore, I like it." I teased Alex and he turned slightly red. I remembered the girl's jean phase very well; it made me laugh just thinking about it. "So, what are you doing tomorrow?" Alex asked and I thought. Jack and I were supposed to the mall so I could pick out something for Alex as a late Christmas present. "Going to the mall with Jack, why?" I asked as Alex's face fell slightly. "Oh, I was just wondering if you would want to hang out but if you're busy…" he said trailing off and I frowned. "You can come if you want." I offered hoping he would say no. I wanted to be around him but I couldn't shop with Alex not far behind me. "Yeah!" he said excitedly and I gave him a big smile. I guess I would just have to figure out how to shop for him with him standing right there I thought as Alex started driving.

Soon we pulled up to the big familiar house. The last time I had been here had been when I had told Alex about my mom. I pushed the thoughts of that day out of my head and looked over at Alex who was now twisted around in his seat and trying to dig stuff out of the back. I took the presents he handed me and got out. Alex walked up the walkway and right into the house and I followed close behind, "Mom! I'm here!" Alex shouted as he kicked the door shut with his foot. "I'm in the kitchen Alex." his mother called and Alex dumped the presents on the couch. I followed his lead and then he grabbed my hand, pulling me to the kitchen. "Mom, you remember Leah, right?" he asked as his mother turned and her smile got wider. "Of course I remember her, such a sweet girl." she said and I smiled.

She hugged Alex and then we went to sit at the table. Alex's dad was already there, eating a large plate of food. Alex stacked a plate full of food for me, set it down in front of me and then began to make himself a plate. "Merry Christmas dad." Alex said and his dad said merry Christmas back, the smile on his face large. I knew he was glad to have Alex home after months of touring. I picked up my fork and then began eating the delicious food. It had been forever since I had gotten a good meal; I practically lived on ramen noodles and hastily made sandwiches. "Whoa, slow down there. Chew your food." Alex instructed and I glared at him. "I live on a budget which means delicious food is hard to come by." I told him once I swallowed and he laughed.