Chapter 20

I looked over at Alex who looked like he was ready to cry. "Alex, I was going to tell you tonight. I just didn't want to ruin the good mood you were in." I said while getting close to him. To my surprise he let me rest my hand on his knee but he seemed a little stunned still. "Alex, baby?" I asked softly and he seemed to come out of his daze. He grabbed me and pulled me to his chest which scared the crap out of me because it wasn't something I expected at all. "Are you okay?" I questioned feeling quite confused. "No but we shouldn't fight. This means we have less time together and it shouldn't be spent fighting." Alex said burying his face into my hair and I twisted around to look at him.

The pain was still clear in his face but I knew he was serious. "You're right but I am sorry Alex. I should have told you earlier." I said guiltily and Alex sighed. "I want to be mad at you but I can't because I understand. I don't like telling my mom I'm going on tour again because I know she'll get upset and miss me." Alex told me and I sighed before kissing his cheek. I knew he was upset right now but so was I. I really didn't want to leave but I knew I had no choice but to. I was so close to finishing college and then once I did I could do whatever I wanted. I could go on tour with Alex, I could move here to be with him, and life would be easier. "Thank you for understanding." I said leaning my head against his shoulder. "Mhm, I love you and I love not fighting with you." Alex said sweetly.

So that's how the next two days went, Alex and me spending every waking second together. We didn't fight once, instead deciding to enjoy being around each while we were able to. New Year's Eve dawned cold and clear and with all three dogs barking loudly. "Oh my god, what is their issue?" I whined while burying my face into my pillow. "They must have to pee, come on." Alex said nudging me with his hand as he climbed out of bed. "I feel like I have a child." I groaned as I watched Alex slip on jeans. "Come on baby, I'll get you a coffee." Alex told me as he took my hand and pulled me out of bed. "Getting up isn't even the issue, it's the getting dressed part I hate." I explained as I searched around in my suitcase for a pair of sweatpants. "I hate you getting dressed too." Alex said jokingly as he let a hand rest on my ass. "Ha ha, very funny. You're a comedian." I said sarcastically while rolling my eyes and slipping on the sweat pants.

"If you want that coffee you'll stop teasing me." Alex threatened and my eyes got wide as I pulled on my hoodie. "I'm just kidding, calm down babe." Alex laughed and I glared at him before slipping on my boots. Once we gathered up the dogs, slipped on their leashes and put on our jackets we left the house. "I'm gonna miss this." I mumbled as Alex and I walked hand in hand down the street towards the coffee shop. "I'm gonna miss you." Alex said softly and I took a deep breath. I didn't want to go; I already missed Alex so much. "Uh, here. I'll be right back." Alex said before handing me Baz and Peyton's leashes then walking into the coffee shop. I leaned down so I could pat the dogs. "I'm gonna miss you guys too and I know Brew will too." I said as I scratched behind the dogs' ears. Brewster being the jealous puppy that he is tried to jump over Baz so I could pat him and I had to laugh as he fell back.

"What's so funny?" Alex asked and I jumped, not noticing him walk out. "Brew is just jealous." I told him as I handed Alex back the leashes and then took the coffee he offered me. "Thanks, so are you excited for tonight?" I inquired and then I took a sip of my coffee. "Yes and then no I guess." he said before taking a sip of his coffee. I gave him a questioning look, wanting to know what he meant. "Yes because I know it'll be a good time and then no because it's our last night together." Alex explained and I frowned. "It's only for a little bit Alex." I said hoping that I could make him feel better but the look on his face told me it hadn't worked. The rest of the walk was quiet, Alex and I in our little worlds.

*Alex's POV*

"Do you have to do anything when we get back to the house?" Leah asked softly as we turned onto my street. "No, not until later I don't think. Why?" I questioned while I stepped over a patch of ice I had slipped on the day before. "Cause I just wanted to snuggle and watch a couple movies with you until we have to get ready." Leah said and I smiled over at her. That sounded like an awesome plan to me and I nodded. "I like that idea." I told her as we walked up the steps to my house. I let us in and we unleashed the dogs before hanging up our jackets on the hook. I could hear Rian banging around in the kitchen and I wondered what he was doing. When I got into the kitchen I saw Rian standing at the island with a mixing bowl, a large bottle of alcohol and what looked like packets of jello.