Chapter 15

After the Show

“I’m telling you- it’s her!”

The rest of the team looked at me carefully, before- one by one- they grinned. We watched as Raven flirted with random men- always moving on quickly. She walked down the dark street, with the Titans following her. ‘That’s not like her…’

My jaw clenched. I wouldn’t lose her again.

She turned suddenly into an alleyway, long dress billowing behind her. We rounded the corner as she conjured a portal- Azarath on the other side. She sighed, before stepping in.

“Go!” Nightwing yelled, as we all ran through the portal after her.

Raven stopped suddenly- turning around sharply to glare at us.

“WHAT are you doing here?” she snapped- as her hair and eyes turned their natural shade of purple, chakra appearing.

“What do you think we are doing here Ra-” I growled at my mate, before Nightwing interrupted me.

“Shut up Garfield.” He snapped, I growled at him, ears pointing backwards as I bared my teeth slightly on instinct. He clenched his jaw but stood his ground. This was my mate- not his.

“We all thought you were dead- except Hunter of course.” Cyborg said sadly- hugging her. I watched Cyborg in silent jealousy- fuming.

“No. I told you in my letter- I resigned” she said in a monotone.

“But why, friend Raven?” Starfire asked after hugging Raven.

“Because I needed to control my emotions better, and when I arrived here- I was needed more than on Earth.” My fists clenched- shaking.

“What’s more important than saving lives?” Nightwing growled.

“I am the next ruler of Azarath- I have duties.”

He blinked a few times and nodded- having calmed down. Raven walked towards a temple- letting us follow her. People around us bowed to her.

“Then what were you doing on Earth?” Nightwing frowned.

“To find a suitor, I can’t officially rule without a husband- and eventually an heir.” Raven replied in distain. I didn’t like the idea- she was mine. Didn’t she understand that?

“Why look on Earth though- and not here?” Cyborg asked, confused as the rest of us.

“I liked living on Earth- I want the child to feel as normal as possible, without the pressures of royal life. My future family will only physically rule in Azarath in times of need; when we are called upon. My council makes decisions for me while I’m away.” She explained.

“Did you find your man of suit?” Starfire asked innocently.

“No, no I didn’t.”

My rigid posture relaxed slightly.

A short man dressed in white walked up to Raven.

“Ayah- what do I owe the pleasure?” her voice was clear and blank- professional.

Ayah bowed to her. “Forgive me my Queen, but the council needs your decision now.”

Raven frowned- and the smell of panic filled my nose. I itched to hold her in my arms again- to smother her panic and make her feel better- whole.

“I haven’t chosen yet- and I wasn’t aware of this deadline.” Her voice had a sort of finality to it.

“Forgive me- but” Ayah was cut off as I stepped behind Raven- instincts taking over.

I wrapped my arms around her waist- pulling her back into my chest territorially.

“She’s mine.” I growled at him, arms tightening.

He smiled at her “Do you trust him?”

Raven blinked, before nodding. He gently pulled her right wrist to him, placing a palm to her pulse point- muttering something.

“N-no that doesn’t mean-” Raven stuttered before he let her hand go. She stumbled slightly back into my chest- I tensed, picking up her wrist gently before kissing her pulse point; where a cuff-like tattoo had appeared around her wrist. He held out his hand again- this time directed at me. I tilted my head to the side slightly and gave him my hand. He repeated the process, a black tattoo-like cuff appearing on my right wrist as well; it matched Raven’s.

“Then that’s settled. Congratulations My Lady- the council will call on you if you must return.”

Ayah walked off- leaving the Titans confused and Raven silent and stiff bodied.

“Raven- what did he just do?” I asked, looking my mate in the eye. She blinked a few times before looking down at our matching wrists.

“He marked me as your partner- it’s the same concept of marriage on Earth- only more powerful, once marked you are bound to that person for life; in cases of willing adultery- the committer dies.”

I blinked a few times before turning her to face me in my arms- looking into her eyes intently for any sign of misconception; I found none.

‘Perfect’

“Though it will fade…”

I frowned. “Isn’t it considered permanent in Azarath? Then why go to all that trouble if it fades?”

“Well… yes, but- you have to… we- need to physically become one for it to become permanent.” She stuttered uncharacteristically.

I stayed silent for a few seconds, thinking it over.

‘We win twice. We get our mate- a better branding than marriage, one from her own culture as well as my mark when it’s time.’

‘What if we hurt her?’

‘We won’t.’

I nodded at my little mate, my eyes softening at the sight of her wide eyes.

“Let’s get you home- you look a little ill.” I commented- noticing her sheet white skin. She nodded.

“Azarath Metrion Zinthos” she chanted, opening a portal straight inside the T-tower’s living room.