(63) Goblet of Fire

"I've heard Cedric Diggory put his name in this afternoon as well," said Nicolai. She and Florence were getting ready to go downstairs for the Halloween feast, "...although I didn't really see him do it. Xander and I left to take Julien and Alanna to a tour of the whole castle."

"Anyone else from other houses? What about in ours?" Florence asked, as she reached for her brush on the nightstand, running it through her hair.

"Well, aside from your redheads attempting to represent Gryffindor, Angelina Johnson put her name in."

"She didn't get thrown out of the age line, though?"

"Nope. Which means that she is of age. I haven't seen anyone from Slytherin, though." Nicolai said, after a few minutes of pondering, "As for our house, I don't think anyone was that interested" she concluded, "How are the Weasleys? Are they beardless already?"

"Yup. Back to their redhead selves. You must have enjoyed your afternoon a lot more than I did, I suspect?" smirked Florence as Nicolai gave her a sheepish look, "How could I not? Julien Fransson is drop dead attractive I tell you, like something out of a book. His parents might be really attractive too."

"You're giving Julien all the credit for the looks. How about some for Alanna. She's beautiful too, you know." said Florence, "Any bisexual feelings tingling for her?" she teased.

"Hey," said Nicolai, "It's not that I'm saying that she isn't attractive, you know? But she doesn't really look anything like Julien. The hair, for one, and the eyes. I don't suppose they have a different set of parents?"

"Dunno," said Florence dismissively, "But whatever you do, don't ask them about it. It's too personal."

"Noted," she said, before rolling off of her bed, "Let's get going, yeah?"

"Let's."

There was excitement lingering in the air that evening when everyone gathered in the Great Hall. The Beauxbatons students barely chattered as they sat down with Ravenclaw, dead silent as the girls huddled in one place. The boys, however, were scattered around the table.

Alanna sat timidly beside her brother, barely touching her food. Florence noticed the small glances Julien gave her, the boy frustrated as he continued to consume his food.

"Please do eat your food," Julien finally spoke, "I don't like the way you're acting right now."

"Well I don't like how you still put your name in even if I asked you not to a thousand times," the brunette girl shot back, her fork clattering onto her plate, "So why should I care if you don't like how I'm acting right now."

"We've already talked about this," said Julien, brows drawing together.

"Doesn't mean I'm okay with it," Alanna muttered bitterly, "Father is going to be furious with you if you're chosen."

"Father will get over it," Julien said dismissively, "Now eat your food. Mother taught us not to be wasteful."

With one last scowl, Alanna finally shoved a spoonful of peas and diced carrots into her mouth.

At long last, the golden plates returned to their original spotless state; there was a sharp upswing in the level of noise within the Hall, which died away almost instantly as Dumbledore got to his feet. On either side of him, Professor Karkaroff and Madame Maxime looked as tense and expectant as anyone. Ludo Bagman and Barty Crouch stood with them as well.

"Well, the goblet is almost ready to make its decision," said Dumbledore. "I estimate that it requires one more minute. Now, when the champions' names are called, I would ask them please to come up to the top of the Hall, walk along the staff table, and go through into the next chamber" he indicated the door behind the staff table  "where they will be receiving their first instructions."