(81) Simmering Down

The days seemed to be blurring by, as most of the students thought, every minute wasted was a minute of complete and utter regret. Students, even those who never usually took academics seriously (i.e Fred and George), were also reeled in to the stress that was brought about by the end of term exams. Their sudden perseverance was mainly due to Florence, who after successfully co-brewing the concoction needed for Operation GGP, plunged into a series of hour-long studies throughout the day. It was as if she basically lived inside the library.

"We don't need to study," said George, confident in his words, "Once the Joke Shop's all set up, our careers will rocket to the skies. Bad O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s won't even matter anymore." he had told Florence, during one of her many attempts to get them to open a book.

Florence merely glanced at the boy, now too engrossed in her Arithmancy homework to further persuade the two. Fred was nodding alongside his brother's commentary, agreeing with his every word as if he had nothing else to say but that.

"Well," she began, once she was finished with an equation, "You know, your success won't rocket to the skies if you still have a roof over your head."

Fred stared at her blankly for a few seconds, "That was just a figure of speech, love."

"I know," she chuckled lightly, "And I meant a figurative roof, love. You're still in school. If you fail your exams, they won't let you go, won't they? They'll make you repeat the year until you get it right."

"So...?"

"So, another year of being tied down to Hogwarts is another year of potential success wasted..." she said, switching quills as the previous one she had used did not write as well anymore, "You don't have to get ridiculously good grades... All I'm saying is atleast pass them, you know? To prevent yourselves from having to repeat a year."

Both Fred and George looked at each other, realizing that Florence had a point. This got them to not take the exams for granted.

So there they were that afternoon, rummaging through a shitload books along with Florence, Nicolai and Alexander, both Nicolai and Alexander glancing skeptically at the twins ever so often, before their quizzical gazes shifted to Florence as if demanding answers from her.

"Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and be the blunt one here...Fred, George, did you get your identities stolen?"

"Yeah," said Xander, who was no more surprised with their actions as Nicolai was, "Why are you two so...studious...?"

"Believe us, we didn't think Florence would be able to knock some sense into us with education importance talks... But she did." Fred replied, before getting up from his seat, "Hang on, let me find another book. This one doesn't sit well with me."

Nicolai continued to gape, before turning to her best friend in utter horror, "What did you do to them?"

She rolled her eyes, "They're just studying, Nic. After the exams are over I'm sure they will go back to being their prankster selves."

"Not to mention, it's news to know that they actually got influenced for the better..." remarked Xander, "George is doing lovely on his Charms paper..."

"Yeah, but it's Fred and George!"

"You're right..." Florence said in mock realization, "I broke them."

"Pricey," George chimed in, the three of them forgetting that he was actually still there, "Would you mind tuning it down a bit? Some of us are actually here to study, you know?" he said, a slightly amused and startled look on his face, "Wow. Never thought I'd say that. Ever."