(163) Induction

She could feel her uncle's rage boiling over from across the room, listening impatiently as Dumbledore spoke to the people who were in her mother's former home office. Sirius and Remus were present, as well as Kingsley Shacklebolt, Moody, Charlie Weasley, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Fred, George, Alexander and Nicolai.

Nicolai was still solemn in her seat, still trying to process the information about the Order of the Phoenix that she had just learned of. Apparently, the entirety of the Devereux family were affiliated to the organization, and Jillian had only started helping out with official Order business for a month.

She demanded she be inducted the minute she found out why Jillian was within Death Eater proximity in the first place. Xander came to support his best friends.

"I said no!" Sloan yelled, a hand pounding against the surface of a table, losing all the feigned composure that he had put up due to Dumbledore's presence. He glared at Florence in a seemingly angry and desperate manner, using his rage as his last resort to get her to reconsider. "You're not joining the Order. She's not joining the Order," he turned to Dumbledore, "Please, sir. See my reason."

"Your fears are reasonable, Sloan." Dumbledore agreed, "You have lost family and she is one of the few left in your life. But this... this does not diminish the fact that Florence is an adult capable of making her own decisions." his voice was firm, keeping Sloan at bay. "If she wishes to join the order, then she may. Joining the order means that she understands the responsibility of being a part of this organization, and the danger that comes with it." Dumbledore stated, "Her decision is beyond what you can control."

"I know this won't help your nerves, Sloan," Kingsley Shacklebolt spoke up from his seat, "But your niece will be a very valuable addition to the organization. We need as many members who are also affiliated with the Auror force. And her training means that she is readily equipped in the battlefield."

"She was stabbed not even two months ago!" Sloan exclaimed, "Or are we just going to conveniently forget that?" he turned to Sirius in desperation, "Back me up, will you?"

"In all fairness," Sirius spoke up hesitantly, looking to Florence, and then back to Sloan, "She got stabbed because they were ambushed. Had it been a full, mapped out mission, I can say with great confidence that it wouldn't have happened to her."

This made Florence frown. Three days ago, when they had spoken about it, Sirius was adamantly opposed to the idea of Florence joining the Order. But now he was seemingly in support of it.

"Unbelievable," Sloan muttered under his breath. Florence was apologetic. She knew what pain this was causing him. She knew that he felt as though he was seeing history repeat itself right before his eyes, and this time he wasn't some dumb adolescent, but an adult, who has lost so much and could not bear to lose anymore.

"This is a sore spot for 'ye, Price. I understand it's 'cause of Gabe." Moody said, "But the Order is on its last leg. We need all the people that we can gather. Sacrifices have to be made."

"As if losing both her parents to the same people isn't enough." Sloan scoffed, "My brother has died for this cause already. So did Jane."

"I believe, Sloan," Dumbledore spoke up, "That Jane would understand that this war is bigger than all of us now. And she would understand that sending her daughter to fight this war with us is a sacrifice meant for the greater good."

Feeling defeated, Sloan stormed out of the office, slamming the door loudly as he went. Julien stayed put in his chair, knowing to give his father some space during episodes like these. 

"Any other... oppositions?" Dumbledore asked, looking around the room momentarily before nodding, "Then its settled. Fred and George Weasley, Nicolai Clearwater, Florence Price, and Alexander Haddlowe... I hereby declare you the newest additions to the Order of the Phoenix."